+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Quad Help!

I'm Nick.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messa...79/109419.html

I think it's pretty safe to say you can link the two left terminals on each speaker and, the two right terminals on each speaker together (as per the pic on the above page) and then have the one pair of wires coming from the amp to either the top or bottom pair of terminals on the speaker. The signal is then shared between the top and bottom terminals ...
    Last edited by Beechwoods; 14-03-2009 at 19:12.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by symon View Post
    Not yet - having a speaker issue now!
    With my Denon amp I bi-wired out to my speakers. I can't do that with the 405 because the holes for connecting to the amp are too small for two speaker cables. Which is fine. But, I need something to use to link the connects on the speaker so that I can wire them up. Hence, my post in the DIY section.
    I'm finding it hard to explain what I mean, but I hope it makes sense.
    The speaker cable you use should make the best possible jumpers for you. Measure the distance between the +ve binding posts on one of your speakers. Measure that distance along the speaker end of your +ve speaker cable for that channel. At this point strip bare a 1cm section of insulation from the cable. Screw down each post onto a shiny copper coloured bit! Repeat for the -ve conductor. Repeat for the other speaker.

Or more simply, cut a piece of cable off the same length as the distance between the posts plus a bit for error. Bare both ends. Use these to connect the two +ve posts only, as well as the jumper you've just made stick your cable into one of the binding posts. Rinse & repeat!

I'm Neil.

Default Bi-Wiring

Hi Symon

With your amp switched off.

You need (I am assuming the Quad has holes for the speaker cable as opposed to Binding posts), a set of Michell or similar Banana plugs with a hole in the top. You wire speaker cables + and - into four plugs ( + and - for the right speaker and + and - for the left speaker)...this for your treble and then wire the + and - into the next set of 4 Banana plugs for the bass. You plug the bass cables right and left speaker into the speaker outlets on the Quad amp and then plug the remaining banana plugs into the holes in the top of the first set of four banana plugs.... making sure to get the left and right cables in the same order as the first set of cables. This allows you to bi-wire with only one set of speaker outlets.

Or as suggested above you can make jumper leads..to connect the binding posts on the back of the speaker.

Regards D S D L----Neil
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 14-03-2009 at 19:20.
    Regards Neil

I'm Peter.

Nick: yes, the thing I am missing is the links between teh posts.

Neil: interesting. I'm not sure that would work with teh Quad. I'll take a photo of the back of it to show the connectors.

Chris: Thats the job! I think I understand. I hadn't thought of connecting them using the same piece of cable which connects to the amp. Great stuff.

Time to go playing again.

I'm Peter.

Well. having eaten, wired up the speakers, connected everything and turned it on, I get..... nothing! Well, not quite nothing, I get a hum in the speakers, but no music from CD or record. Time to start exploring.

I'm Alex.

Original 405 had horrible push button connectors for speakers, could only take thin wires. Later 405-2 had 4mm sockets.

Easy way out, but some would not like is to use some suitable wire (just a few inches) to a chocolate bar (terminal block) connector.

I'm Nick.

Have you tried each of the sources in turn, and have you got your DIN > Phono leads wired properly. Have you got 5 Pin DIN > 4 phono connector cables? Try each of the 4 phono connectors in turn. 2 should result in sound, the other two, not.

Stupid question, but is the 4 pin DIN > DIN between the 33 and the 303 connected up?
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Alex.

I was never keen on the original 405, put TL071 op amps in mine (very easy as original op amps are in sockets) and the sound was vastly improved.

I'm Peter.

Ok - yes, I think it is connected up properly...
    2 - yes it haas the push button connectors.

First thoughts are
    a) I just haven't connected the tt and cdp correctly.
    b) the light doesn't come on on the 33.
    c) could be the 33 plug - but I'm not sure how I can test this.

I'm Alex.

No light on the 33 is probably the clue (unless bulb is gone and thats unusual).

Check that power lead to the 33. Check fuse in 13A plug, obvious, but I've been caught with this. Check the small mains plug that goes into the 33 (mains unplugged of course) a wire may have come loose in this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast