+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Quad Help!

I'm Peter.

Default Quad Help!

Hello all,

so, I have a 33 and 405 sitting on a table ready to be connected to electricity and music and I have come across a potential problem.

I have a mains lead for the 33 which connects to a 3 pin plug (your standard type of plug), but it looks like the earth wire is not connected to the plug which goes into the 33.
    Added to this, I only have a kettle lead for the 405 (yes, I know, I'll deal with that another day). But, the manual says I shouldn't earth the 405 to the mains plug if I am connecting it to a 33 - which I am. Apparently, the earth will be through the 33.
    But, the 33 plug isn't wired up in a way I understand! Help!

Bear in mind my understanding of electronics is limited to negligible. However, my fear of breaking these things before I even hear a note is not negligible.
    I can provide a photo of the 33 mains lead if that would help.

Bear in mind these were used by my brother in law before me, and I have got them from him in the same state he used them (minus the kettle lead), so I assume he just plugged in and played.

So, what do I do? Do I need to rewire the plugs? Or can I just carry on and plug everything in and start listening to music?

Thanks
    Peter
    Last edited by symon; 14-03-2009 at 17:32.

I'm Peter.

Actually, looking at the plug again, I realise I have not fully understood what is going on.

Let me try again. The plug which goes into teh plug socket on the wall is a three pin bog standard plug, with 2 wires and an earth coming out of it. This connects to the funky funny little connector that goes into the 33. But, the earth wire does not go into this plug and is just loose. There is an earth terminal on the back of the 33 which is separate to the plug input. So, do I just plug it in, attach the earth wire to the earth terminal and off we go.

Should I, then, disconnect the earth in the 405 plug? What happens if I don't?

I'm Nick.

Earthing both the pre and power amps fully to their respective mains plugs will be fine from a safety perspective, the only thing is you may get 'ground loops' - hum - as a result of the 33 and 405 not having a shared earth. This may not be a problem in reality if both mains plugs go to the same wall socket or extension splitter.

The 405 manual has this to say (I think you have this anyway, but it's clarified things for me regarding how the 405 earths itself via the 33):

The supplied mains connector is terminated at one end by a two-pin plug. When the Quad 405 is used with a Quad 33 control unit, which should itself be earthed, the 405 will be earthed via the audio lead and should not be connected to the earth lead in the mains cable. In other cases, where the 405 must be earther directly, a three-core mains lead should be used.
    So the 33 needs all 3 wires for the mains being connected, but if you're using the 405 with a 33 you only need wire up the Live and Neutral of the kettle plug for the 405 to the mains. Only if you're using the 405 with a different pre- do you need to fully wire the kettle plug earth to the mains.

So to answer your original question you need to fully wire up the plug of your 33 so it's properly earthed.
    Last edited by Beechwoods; 15-03-2009 at 08:26. Reason: Correcting advice following further thought and looking at the 405 manual
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Peter.

So, stop worrying, plug it in and go! ??

I'm Nick.

Yep!
    Nick
    My system...

I'm Peter.

Cool. Here goes.

I'm Nick.

Joy?
    Nick
    My system...

I'm Peter.

Not yet - having a speaker issue now!
    With my Denon amp I bi-wired out to my speakers. I can't do that with the 405 because the holes for connecting to the amp are too small for two speaker cables. Which is fine. But, I need something to use to link the connects on the speaker so that I can wire them up. Hence, my post in the DIY section.
    I'm finding it hard to explain what I mean, but I hope it makes sense.

I'm Nick.

I saw your other post just after posting above. I understand what you're after but have no experience of bi-wiring so will leave that one to one of the other folks here. I suspect that the solution is likely to be a very simple one though
    Nick
    My system...

I'm Peter.

Yes - I think it is, but i can't picture how to do it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast