+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EAR here!

I'm Peter.

Default EAR here!

For sale, a pair of EAR 509 Mk2 mono-blocks power amplifiers (with two sets of spare power valves) at £1800 and an
    EAR 868PL phono/line pre-amplifier at £2200, or the lot for £3600.

These legendary power amplifiers are in a black-chrome finish and are in excellent condition. Built in 1989, they were still in good working condition when serviced for the first time in 2006, still with the original valves. EAR replaced a couple of small signal valves, together with resistors, diodes and capacitors that had drifted out of spec, and installed new input connectors and power valve caps. These amplifiers are currently fitted with NOS Ei PL519 valves, and will be supplied with a spare set of the same, together with the (still OK) original TdP PL509 ones … enough to last a lifetime. These amplifiers are renowned for being one of the few valve amps capable of driving difficult loads, with good current delivery. I used them for several years, with great success, in combination with Neat MFS stand-mount speakers, which incorporate Isobarik bass units and are a tricky load. The ‘sound’ of the EAR509 is very difficult to pin down, being essentially neutral to my ears. Selling price is £1800.

The EAR 868PL pre-amplifier was bought new by the seller around 5 years ago, and has performed flawlessly since. The line-stage is highly neutral, while the phono-stage is the same as in the flagship EAR 912, but without some of the switches and adjustability, principally relating to the mm stage. The large mc step-up transformers appear to be the same as in the MC3 stand-alone unit, with links provided on the printed circuit board to give adjustable gain of 10, 20 or 30 times (labelled 40, 12 and 4 ohm compatibility). The choice of mc or mm is via a pushbutton on the rear panel. There are five RCA line level inputs and a further XLR one. Two RCA and one XLR outputs are provided, all transformer isolated to ensure zero ‘hum’ and total compatibility with any power amplifier. There is a basic remote control, which adjusts only the volume. For further details and measurements, google the online review by Noel Keywood at HiFi World. Having previously owned the cheaper EAR 864, I can assure you that the 868 is in a different league. It really is a top quality pre-amp. Selling price is £2200.

Last edited by petrat; 07-01-2013 at 07:14.

I'm Kyriacos.

Hi, I am very interested, see if you can call me 07712588991

Thanks Kyriacos

I'm Peter.

Just got in and seen your post Kyriacos. PM sent.

I'm Peter.

All items now SOLD.

I'm Viraj.

Unhappy

Missed out on you EAR 868 pre....my bad luck.
    Source: Cambridge Audio 840C / Technics 1210 MK2 with Audio Technica 440Mla MM Cart
    Amp: Lyrita Audio Phono stage / Lyrita Audion 845 SET / Cambridge Audio 840A
    Speakers: Lyrita 2 way speakers / DIY Fostex FE-203 En-S in back loaded horn

+ Reply to Thread