+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: {New speaker cable suggestions pls

I'm Ben.

Default {New speaker cable suggestions pls

I am looking to replace the speaker cable in my system, currently im using the belkin pure av stuff which was highly discussed on here some time back. Im pretty pleased with it but due to its length and "chunkyness" i would ideally prefer to replace it with something more discrete which I can have cut to length (I only need approx 4 m in total).

Does anyone have any thoughts / suggestions please. I could go up to £15m if I had to and would prefer single wire rather than bi.

cheers,
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Nigel.

Hi Ben,

Consider the Black Rhodium Twist, £3.50 a meter and very good.

Nigel

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by vinylspinner View Post
    Hi Ben,

Consider the Black Rhodium Twist, £3.50 a meter and very good.

Nigel
    Thanks for the suggestion Nigel,

Its certainly and appealing price, for the lengths i need i would hardly be out of pocket even if i didnt end up wanting to keep it in my system.

cheers,
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Black Rhodium used to give their bigger dealers a 75% margin (profit margin, not mark-up which is a different calculation), so bear that in mind regarding the true cost of the cable.......

Not having seen how chunky the belkin stuff is, I really ought to suggest that chunky is usually good where speaker wire is concerned, since the amp will usually be better able to control the speaker (damping factor). Thin stuff as sold by the skipload by sevenoaks stores back in the day is absolutely useless, even if herself likes it!!!!!

"Fisual" speaker cable available on ebay is good stuff and the white jacket fits with many different environments. I'd probably look at the 2.5mm as a minimum myself and I'm sure the Chord Co stuff at £6 approx per metre wouldn't really be aby better.

Talking of Chord Co, they used to do an "Install" version of the popular Rumour and Odyssey cables. We sold loads of the stuff but be warmed, it does have that certain silver-plated "shiny" sound quality, probably because of the thin overall gauge on the one hand, and the silver plating on the other. Can be easily tucked under carpets though.

Lastly (collective sigh of relief ) beware also of ribbon cables like the Nordost Flatline, which gives superficial clarity but also a weedy presentation, relying on speaker boom to give "more" bass it hasn't actually got...

Stick with what you have and try to disguise it as much as possible
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Black Rhodium used to give their bigger dealers a 75% margin (profit margin, not mark-up which is a different calculation), so bear that in mind regarding the true cost of the cable.......
    Indeed, which is *precisely* why Cawley sells it!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm andrew.

I like NVA cables, got some LS1 here that is good value but not exactly discreet.
    You can buy them on a sale or return basis from his ebay shop.
    The LS 5&6 are supposedly very good.
    Andy.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post

Lastly (collective sigh of relief ) beware also of ribbon cables like the Nordost Flatline, which gives superficial clarity but also a weedy presentation, relying on speaker boom to give "more" bass it hasn't actually got...
    Sorry to hi-jack a little, but would you include Rega's original flat cable with those David?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I think the Rega cable would be fine, but having been accused ad nauseum about shilling this bloody firm, I thought I'd post a few other alternatives.

To recap me and Rega - I sold the stuff for years, support their basic VFM philosophy and apart from their bigger speakers, which are too "raw and rough" for me, love their products muchly and enjoy using them when I am able. I also know and keep in touch with their Sales Manager, since we share a common audio dealer ancestry - so there!
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Andrew.

Thanks for that. I have used it for ages and had never really considered replacing it.........until you mentioned ribbon cables...

I'm inthescottishmafia.

TQ Blue or the Black if you can stretch to it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast