+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Water for cleaning?

I'm Alex.

Default Water for cleaning?

I've got an Okki Nokki on the way; I've ordered my 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and some Ilford's Ilfotol photographic wetting agent. What type of water do I need? Distilled, de-ionised or purified? Or does it not really matter and they're all pretty much the same thing?
    Last edited by alcarmichael; 04-01-2013 at 18:47.

I'm Mike.

Distilled- it's what Okki Nokki recommend (just bought one myself) and will ensure that there is no crud left behind. If you are using IPA you will also need a couple of drops of fairy liquid etc as a wetting agent.

If you can't get distilled water locally (I couldn't much to my annoyance) try http://apcpure.com/products.php?product=27 I just ordered some from them and arrived next day (got 5 litres to keep me going).

I'm Bernie.

How much wetting agent (fairy liquid) by volume should be used? How many drops per Litre?
    Bernie.

I'm ChrisB.

Oh, about two.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

You can get distilled water from your local hardware shop (it is used in steam irons) or perhaps from your local car accessory outlet (used to top-up car batteries, though modern ones are sealed).

Photographic wetting agent is preferable to washing up liquid, as the latter contains salt.
    Barry

I'm Alex.

I know Halfords sell de ionised water. Sounds like I need distilled though

I have ordered the photgrophic wetting agent.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by alcarmichael View Post
    I know Halfords sell de ionised water. Sounds like I need distilled though

I have ordered the photgraphic wetting agent.
    I wouldn't worry whether the water is distilled or de-ionised; it makes little difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_Water
    Barry

I'm Shaun.

Washing up liquid also contains a lot of glycerol which would definitely leave a deposit on your precious vinyl. Deionised water is water that has been passed through a deioniser rather than boiled and condensed. It has very little in it in the way of impurities.

I'm Nobody.

S'ok Shaun i deleted my posts on the subject becuase a certain person thought they Knew better. I would'nt use washing up liquid if it was the last thing.

I'm Shaun.

Andre you are so right. Washing up liquid is far from being just surfactants. It contains all kinds of shit for making your hands nice and soft. Also, Propan-2-ol is definitely not to come into contact with your stylus according to manufacturers. It dissolves the glue that holds the diamond in place or so I was told many years ago.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast