+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed, new digital front end

I'm ILOB.

Even Rega admitted that they did not put as much into their USB input as they do not see this as getting the best out of the DAC
    The HIFACE makes a difference but really if you spending that kind of money and using USB get something like the JK32 or the Schilt
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Lee.

Well the CDQ is now sold and the search begins with around £800 to spend. Considered so far

Eastern Electric CDP
    Bushmaster Dac
    Audio note Dac or CDP (s/h)
    Metrum Octave

I do fancy something with valves inside as I really like valves. I've heard the Rega Dac and it doesn't do it for me

Anyone throw something else into the mix, I recently missed a s/h Audionote cd 2.1x for £699, this would have been ideal

All the best

Lee
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

I'm Neil.

Of those options I would be most interested in the Metrum Octave DAC. £800 gives you a A LOT of choice though with some world-class DACs out there. What sort of transport are you using? These do make a difference even with reclocking DACs.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Of those options I would be most interested in the Metrum Octave DAC. £800 gives you a A LOT of choice though with some world-class DACs out there. What sort of transport are you using? These do make a difference even with reclocking DACs.
    The only transport I have at the moment is an old Sony DVD player from the late 90's, Ive also got a mac mini for playing ripped files
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Henley View Post
    The only transport I have at the moment is an old Sony DVD player from the late 90's, Ive also got a mac mini for playing ripped files
    There is an absurd deal on a Monarchy Audio DAC here (with DIP jitter conditioner):

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread...-dip-interface

Mark (Reid Malenfant) uses one. I would definitely take a punt on this as you'd easily get what you paid for it if you decided to shift it on. Uses one of the best DACs of all time, the Burr Brown PCM63. A big reminder of how "analogue" and natural digital can really sound.

"I find with the Audiolab CDQ that its a bit up front and has some digital harshness, also the sound is not as full as the analogue set up." << the Monarchy is certainly rich and full compared to most digital...
    Last edited by Yomanze; 14-01-2013 at 16:31.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm stu.

Micromega.

I'm Lee.

Should be getting a loan of a Metrum octave tomorrow, see what that brings to the table

I'm Neil.

Nice, looks like a great DAC am a fan of non-oversampling designs.

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Henley View Post
    Should be getting a loan of a Metrum octave tomorrow, see what that brings to the table
    Had the Metrum running for a few days now via Mac mini on optical and Sony DVD via coax, I've tried everything to get on with this Dac but I can't, in my system it's quite thin sounded and does not fill the room in any manner.

Fortunately for me it was a loaner and saved me a bit of money since I was going to buy one based upon all the reviews I'd read

Still on the look out for a new digital front end!

Lee

Btw this week I've got the essential northstar coming and the EE plus, I'm also hoping to get a Jolida FX glass and calyx to try

I'm Lee.

Forgot to ask is there a Dac in the sub £1k bracket that competes with a decent vinyl rig? I do like the sound to be weighty and have great room presence like my vinyl rig, or do I need to consider spending more dosh

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast