+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed, new digital front end

I'm Lee.

Default Advice needed, new digital front end

Morning all

After going through the upgrade route for the analogue set up I can no longer listen to the digital set up so Ive decided this needs to be changed.

I find with the Audiolab CDQ that its a bit up front and has some digital harshness, also the sound is not as full as the analogue set up.

The CDQ was brought as it has a seperate DAC as well as a cd player which alows me to hook the mac mini and play Spotify or files from my hard drive.

The new digital front end can be a DAC only since I will get a transport, however if there is a suitable cd player on the market with an in built useable dac then throw that into the mix

Im pretty much open to ideas but dont want to break the bank in doing so, Id more than likely go for a secondhand device.

I would like to have a fairly laid back sound but not too "sleepy", with a wide soundstage

A product that I did look at was the Eastern Electric minimax cd player, this doesnt have the DAC but I could always buy something like a Beresford for when I play Spotify or lossless files.

Any help much appreciated

Lee
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Shilling alert!!!!!

I sincerely apologise for having to mention this item, but the Rega DAC is a goodie. I find the USB input fine, although others disagree, but the main thing is that it's been designed and tweaked by people well steeped in vinyl reproduction, so hf nasties/etched deeeeetails would not be on their agenda. In practice, it's a fine DAC, not liked by the Audiolab crowd because it's not demonstrative enough for them, but other music lovers love it to bits. it won't be plagued by constant software tweaks either, so one should be as near as darn it like another and Rega's service backup is legendary.

PLEASE give it a listen. You have Rega dealers around your location, so see if you can borrow a well used demo one for a weekend to try.....
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm ILOB.

If using Spdif then go for the Rega I have to disgree with David ( Sorry David) around the Rega USB input (i heard this in a review setting and we all agreed the Rega was not as good as the other DACS in USB mode) but sounds like you not going down this route and the the Rega will sound a lot better via SPDIF, also the bushmaster is an excellent DAC
    There a thread on AOS around Transports so that might be a decent way to go
    A few top of the range CD players I heard are Ayre the one Martin got is excellent Aero Captoile and the top of the range Merirdian sounded pretty good when I heard it but none of these are going to be cheap
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Henley View Post
    A product that I did look at was the Eastern Electric minimax cd player, this doesnt have the DAC but I could always buy something like a Beresford for when I play Spotify or lossless files.

Any help much appreciated
    Would an AoS discount for mentioning Beresford be of any help in your decision making ?

I'm Stephen.

Yes - the REGA DAC will give you what you need - I know I had one and thought it great - "very vinyl". A Beresford Bushmaster will give you what you need - I know - I moved the REGA on and bought one
    (see http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...279#post398279 post #21)

Stan do I get an extra extra Aos discount for mentioning Beresford

Steve
    Always a little further

I'm Lee.

The Bushmaster does look a good option for sure
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

I'm Lee.

I noticed that it doesn't have USB are they ok on optical out hooked upto a mini mac?

I'm andrew.

Optical is not the best way to hook up a Mac imho, I prefer async usb.
    Andy.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    If using Spdif then go for the Rega I have to disgree with David ( Sorry David) around the Rega USB input (i heard this in a review setting and we all agreed the Rega was not as good as the other DACS in USB mode)
    No need to apologise at all - I'm learning loads since I haven't quite got this far yet myself. The Rega may not be as good on USB as others, but it's certainly not BAD and is galvanically isolated so hopefully safe from any cr@p fed it by a typical computer...

I have so many FLAC's and WAV's saved upstairs it seems daft to burn countless CD's so I can play them down here, so I shall eventually need a DAC downstairs and, as the laptops we use are awful on their analogue outs (a "Windows PC" thing apparently unless you fit a soundcard) they'll have to be used wirelessly and then into a DAC. I can't do anything at the moment, since repairs and painting to the porch & house front comes first (a good few grand ), but I AM keeping an open mind and count myself fortunate that I have Alex_UK not far away to give practical help when it all comes together
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Gary.

Having heard both the Rega and the Bushmaster they both sound good.
    The Rega is a fair bit more expensive.

My Best advice is to hear both if you can in your own system.
    They sound quite different and one may be more to your taste.

The Rega USB is extremely good, as it can't do 24/96 and up though I use a Vlink 192 for hires stuff.
    Have to say I tried the USB and it has a quality I could be happy with for redbook stuff.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast