+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Greetings from Ireland

I'm Mark.

Default Greetings from Ireland

Hi
    I'm a Canadian microbiologist who retired after 36 years of research in Germany in 2007 and retired a second time yesterday after 5 1/2 more years in Cork, Ireland. There's a very good chance that I'm moving to the UK in April to start up again and I'm looking forward to the next 3 months for finishing up writing some manuscripts.

Every other spare minute is used for HiFi and listening to music. I've been interested in music and HiFi since I was about 22. But that became less and less important with time for reasons that are unclear to me. In the end I couldn't be bothered to search through the stacks of CDs and only listened to one of the few that were on in front of the stack on the rare occasions when I turned on the stereo. Although records sounded better, they were even more of a bother to listen to, needing to go back to the stereo every 20 min or so.

And then about 2 1/2 years ago, I thought I could use digital streaming to make my CDs findable, which sparked a major wave of upgrading that is still in progress and a major wave of listening to new and old music that is ongoing.

A bit over a year ago, I thought I had reached digital streaming nirvana, with a Linn (KDS0) Renew DS a Conrad-Johnson LP66S valve amp and Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento speakers. And then I listened to Keith Jarrett's Koeln Concert on my Rega Planar 2 from the mid-70s with a Shure MM cartridge. After comparing several matched digital rips from contemporary CDs and vinyl, I not only rediscovered Pink Floyd (DSOTM) and Jan Garbarek (Magico) but also realised that I prefer vinyl sound. The first upgrade cycle resulted in a Notts Ace Space Deck with heavy upgrade, Bastin Wave Mechanic PSU, SME-IV and Dynavector XX-2. That was coupled with a custom-built valve phono stage made by Nick Gorham and a passive pre containing S&B transformers with remote control, also built by him. It also resulted in silver interconnects and silver rewiring of the SME arm as well as new speaker cables (neoMorpheus from the US).

As indicated, the upgrade cycle is not yet finished, although it would be nice to stop soon. I've just bought a used Verdier Nouvelle with an SME 3012R and an Ortofon 90th anniversary cartridge, none of which have even been shippped yet. And I found Art of Sound through a long thread on tonearm interconnects from last May. Unfortunately, my current AN-V interconnects have a DIN plug and the 3012 uses RCAs. Since I haven't yet decided what to do with the SME-IV, I'm currently trying to decide what tonearm IC I should buy.

My musical interests are catholic. Some of the best records I have are Grigoria Paniagua from the '70s and '80s playing a variety of music from originall Greek to early baroque. Or a recording of Tibetan bells from the early 1980's. I also love Carmina Burana and have recently bought the old Telarc recording. I've also gone mad about some recent Indie groups, including Sufjan Stevens, Castanets and Folk/Bluegrass/Country including Johnny Cash, Nickel Creek, Cowboy Junkies. And whatever category Dead Can Dance belongs to.

I could also write a whole post on how lousy modern vinyl tends to be, especially reissues, when compared to the originals. But this is already long enough.

Mark

I'm John.

Hello Mark and welcome to AoS.

I would agree with you about some of the modern pressings that, to my oldish ears, seem to be inferior to original issues. There are some I've bought that have largish swirl marks that no amount of cleaning removes and so, therefore, must have been made under manufacture.

Enjoy the AoS.

John

I'm ChrisB.

Hi Mark and welcome to AoS.
    What a great introduction, and such an interesting evolution of your system.
    I've spent some time in Cork, what a great city. ~Is Vibes & Scribes in Bridge Street still open and selling records?
    My family have a place near Macroom that we are long overdue for a visit to.

Anyway, it's great that you're here - enjoy the vibes & scribes that we have to offer!
    Cheers

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by prestonchipfryer View Post
    Hello Mark and welcome to AoS.

I would agree with you about some of the modern pressings that, to my oldish ears, seem to be inferior to original issues. There are some I've bought that have largish swirl marks that no amount of cleaning removes and so, therefore, must have been made under manufacture.

Enjoy the AoS.

John
    Hi John
    Glad to see that I'm not the only one.
    I ended up buying a Loricraft RCM and wash every record with Knosti Discostat, MoFi Deep Clean, Art du Son and distilled water. Can you spell OCD?

The swirls on the records don't seem to affect the sound even if they're fairly ugly. To my surprise, even visible marks on the records don't affect the sound. But with many of the new pressings there is considerable surface noise, particularly at the beginning and end of the record and even what sounds like a scratch, neither of which is visible. It is those that bother me and I'm hoping that the new Ortofon cartridge will be less sensitive to surface noise than the Dynavector.

all my best
    Mark

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Hi Mark and welcome to AoS.
    What a great introduction, and such an interesting evolution of your system.
    I've spent some time in Cork, what a great city. ~Is Vibes & Scribes in Bridge Street still open and selling records?
    My family have a place near Macroom that we are long overdue for a visit to.

Anyway, it's great that you're here - enjoy the vibes & scribes that we have to offer!
    Cheers
    Hi Chris,
    It's going to be hard to leave Cork. At first glance this is a very sleepy town, especially if you don't go out after about 22:00 when all the teenagers are streaming pheromones. But the quality of life is very high, he people are very pleasant and the stress levels are very low.

However, I have yet to meet anybody interested in HiFi here. So if you end up visiting Macroom before April, it would be a great occasion to meet and talk about music and equipment.

Mark

I'm ChrisB.

That sounds like a great plan, thanks - not sure when we'll get there next though.
    I can't help but love a place that has a place called Rory Gallagher Square!

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by machtman View Post
    Hi John
    Glad to see that I'm not the only one.
    I ended up buying a Loricraft RCM and wash every record with Knosti Discostat, MoFi Deep Clean, Art du Son and distilled water. Can you spell OCD?
    No, but I can be it!

+ Reply to Thread