+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat Club Now Open

I'm Dave.

When I was 13 I used to have 4 heaped sugars in tea. My best mate told me that if I left them out for a week I would never want them again.

I did and I didn't.

Sugar is the Devils dandrull...
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm Steve.

I guess I might be accurately described as 'a big ol' unit'.

I've tended towards the lardier side of life, er, all my life. I've had spates of shedding the pounds and even got down to a very svelte 12st 7lbs in my mid-twenties (I'll be rumbling past sixty this year), but as of yesterday I tipped the scales at 18st 10lbs.....

So - I've gone on 'the regime' again. It's not quite as bad as it sounds mind you. For about the last 15 years I've pushed weights on a fairly regular basis, and as a result I carry a fair bit of meat and bone these days, and my preferred 'comfortable' weight is now around the 16st mark. I'm 6ft 1in BTW.

The intention is to initially get to about 17st by Easter, and then re-assess (17st is a fairly happy compromise, and depending how I feel, I may stick at that or just under. I actually made 15st 13lb about three years ago but God that was hard).

The 'regime' generally consists of a good porridge-based breakfast, followed by about five or six small nutritionally-sound meals, roughly equi-spaced throughout the day (it helps keep the insulin levels substantially level, thereby avoiding 'crashes'). I shall also be doing about 10-15 minutes fast rowing in the morning (been lax on this lately, and it sure hasn't helped!) and lifting the heavies about three times a week (ditto laxity). As usual I will also be walking the dog every day for a couple or three miles on the beach and road, and cycling occasionally (no car, so not much option ). I also deliberately don't weigh-in weekly as I just don't find it helpful - so I may not be reporting progress until about this time next month.
    Wish me luck - and good luck to all those having a go too

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    the best way to go forward is to give it up altogether, not reduce the quantity.
    Agreed, you have to just stop and be strict. When I joined the Navy in 1976 I used to take 2 sugars in my tea and coffee. The line in the mess room at HMS Raleigh for the 'with sugar' tea urn was always long and I hate waiting. The line for the 'without sugar' urn . . . well there wasn't one, so I started drinking it without.... tasted shite, but I stuck with it and after a month the 'with sugar' tea tasted shite. I have not had sugar in my tea since November 1976.

I drink my coffee black without and hate it any other way (unless there's a whiskey in there). Been doing that since 1983 and I didn't like how that tasted to start with either

Just say no, easy to say I know, but that really is the only way to kick a habit, its a state of mind - losing weight is a lifestyle change, its not a diet IMO.

Best of luck too
    Last edited by Tim; 08-01-2013 at 18:21.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I try to keep to 70Kg (a nice round 11 stone), which with height places my body mass index towards the upper end of the 'healthy range'.

I weighed myself last Thursday, and found after the Festive eating and drinking my weight had increased to 73.6Kg!

Crash diet and today I'm on the way back to normal at 71.2Kg.
    Barry

I'm Harry.

Oh Lord. 70kg. I dream of that

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Humph!!!!!

Blood pressure still too high after med increase, (thick neck) snoring now an issue again, rabbit food now a staple and now have an ECG and 24 hour blood-pressure-machine check coming soon! Don't know why I feel so anxious all the time but this must be part of it

Haven't dared weigh myself since the Nurse visit on Christmas eve. It's going to be a hard slog from now on, although I do try to trot up and down the three flights of stairs at work and am trying to make time for a lunchtime walk round the block. I haven't felt so unfit and generally cr@p in ages........
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

MartinT Guest

After cancer surgery and chemotherapy a few years ago, I did once hit a low of 65kg. As my partner says now, I looked emaciated and at death's door. So there can be too low a weight

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    After cancer surgery and chemotherapy a few years ago, I did once hit a low of 65kg. As my partner says now, I looked emaciated and at death's door. So there can be too low a weight
    It all depends on your height. At 1.7m tall, my prefered weight of 70Kg gives me a BMI of 24.2, which is towards the upper end of the 'healthy' band.
    Barry

MartinT Guest

At 1.78m tall, 65kg is fine according to the BMI graphs for a man. I didn't look good, though, and had no strength in me whatsoever.

Although I am targeting 80kg, I need to get it down to 77kg for the normal band. Small steps, though.

I'm Nobody.

O well i blew my diet yesterday. Bottle of Red before i went out to the pub, another there & another when i came in

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast