+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Genesis 180grm vinyl issues for 2013

I'm Nobody.

Default Genesis 180grm vinyl issues for 2013

Pre-order em today chaps, estimated release 18th Feb, 2013.

Last edited by Rare Bird; 01-01-2013 at 19:04.

I'm Dave.

Think i'll wait and see if there are any issues with quality first.

Unless Amazon makes a another mistake with the price.
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm Stephen.

I wonder if they may be the same as the ones from the (now unavailable) box set - ie the set minus the box..
    I cant see them re-mastering yet again.
    Why cant they let someone master and engineer the pressings that really knows what that should be like? Surely there is more than Steve Wilson that can do this?

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    Pre-order em today chaps, estimated release 18th Feb, 2013.

GENLPY1: Tresspass
    GENLPY2: Nursery Cryme
    GENLPY3: Foxtrot
    GENLPY4: Selling England By The Pound
    GENLPY5: The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

Cheers for the reminder. But not Wind and Wuthering? or is that coming later, I wonder.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Why not stick with the well remastered CD issues from ten or so years ago - the non-remixed ones?

Just 'cos it's on heavy vinyl and probably cut from digital sources (or re-doctored D-A ones) is daft IMO. Why add loads of extra losses in the cutting and pressing "just" to get it on vinyl? genesis LP's have VERY long sides. If you MUST bring out a vinyl one, why not do each track at 45 and do it properly over a few 12" 45's?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nobody.

Dave: some of use can't stand CD i have piles of the best Japanese CD's but still hate em. I prefer Vinyl, These are most welcome in my collection..
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 01-01-2013 at 19:04.

I'm Stephen.

Wind & Wuthering (along with Trick) was just released in the latest box set - so it will not be long before it is also made available at a guess.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I have a mate who's a huge Genesis fan with all early LP's bought at the time. There was no bass on these and the remastered CD's I refer to had this bass restored, giving far more scale to the sounds I thought. Virgin (Charisma) never had the earliest generation analogue masters anyway, the band did, and the remastering came from these better masters I understand.

I still don't know why some of you chaps have issues with CD reproduction, sorry... Maybe I'm just lucky to have a really good player that gives me everything a top vinyl source gives me and more besides on a decent mastering..... Neither of my main speakers lack treble either, but they do have well designed crossovers with no obvious phase-harshness up top. Maybe that's what it is?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Paul.

Are these all analogue or taken from the widely disliked digital remixes of a few years ago? I have all these (except Tresspass) on the OOP Classic Records reissues which sound superb and lacking the surface noise of original Charisma pressings.

BTW the 2008 digital mixes have already been out on vinyl so these should be something different or aren't a new release. I see Dave at least liked the new mixes - they got a panning on Hoffman Forum when the CD/vinyl box sets were originaly released. Though digital on vinyl can be good I try to avoid if at all possible. In most cases it looses something against the best original pressings. New all analogue vinyl is pretty special when done right as the recent Pink Moon, Ziggy Stardust, Fog On The Tyne and Forever Changes show.
    Last edited by Audioman; 01-01-2013 at 12:10.

I'm Mike.

Strange! I have all the original vinyls, and have never noticed any of the mentioned problems, lack of bass or surface noise. I have CDs of Foxtrot and Nursery Cryme and still prefer the vinyl. Will have to go and listen, I could be gone some time

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast