+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 76 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY phonostage.

I'm Paul.

the amp looks great, excellent job.
    Paul.

I'm Simon.

Just imagine what it would sound like with the correct cartridge loading mark?
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Deleted.

What is the cartridge loading now and is it relatively easy to change?

(I'm not suggesting we change it)
    Account Deleted

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I've just finished listening to sq's 'home built' phonostage and I have to say, it is a remarkable bit of kit. In many ways it sounds just as my own phono stage.

Initially we listened to the first XX album. On my phonostage it was a quite remarkable experience - starting with enormous reverb on voices and huge echo on instruments followed by super punchy DC type bass - I don't think either of us felt it lacked for anything! A quick swap to sq's stage and the sound was, if possible, even more subtly nuanced, with perhaps a hint of emphasis to leading edges. For me, bass was even drier with better delineation - actual extension and weight was just as good. Swapping back again, my stage had a velvety quality that was missing from sq's - however, whilst it was all there (information wise), I did miss the leading edge detail that sq's stage delivered.

It's not an easy comparison, in isolation you listen to my own stage and nothing seems missing,timing is strongly projected, dynamic range is huge, frequency extremes are solid and extended, yet the sound isn't forced or trying too hard.

I think....sq's stage brought a level of subtle sophistication that was previously, in comparison, missing -better leading edge, slightly better tonal colour and a more consistent quality right in to the deep bass.

Any way, I've got sq's stage for a few days - so we shall see...
    I've done a bit more listening today to Simon's phonostage (now that is thoroughly warmed up. I was particularly struck by how good it is during crescendo; there is absolutely no blurring. or confusion, of notes competing for your attention. The dynamic range is huge too - music suddenly swells in a very dramatic manner and bass is rock solid. I must say, I like it a lot!
    Account Deleted

I'm Simon.

it's relatively easy to change I just need to remove the main boards flip them over and put a different SMT resistor between the input and gnd pads. I don't have the resistors like...
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Simon.

I've been busy, already built a closer matched and better specced V2 version.

Just finished last night. So I'm waiting for the input bias to settle, which lovers of foo will be delighted to hear takes up to a week as the electrolytic capacitors form/settle/burn in. proving that all caps don't form in seconds rather than over a period of time. (They do of course have next to bugger all running into them)

here's the temporary cart loading arrangement. I'll shift this onto the back panel via a plug-in of some sort.

I'm Simon.

Mark has been building little houses to shield my transistors from the draught.

I had a head to head with a Tom Evans Groove Anniversary yesterday. Both were set up for the specified loading of my cart. To be frank the TE got it's ass handed to it. Better bass, more coherent top to bottom, better resolution and more dynamic contrast from my own ickle diy stage.

Does anyone fancy the challenge?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Simon, that phono stage (with buffer output?) would retail for at least couple of grand I reckon, once components were selected and a more fancy box customised. I suspect the kit costs aren't that cheap either
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Deleted.

It would probably retail for circa 5K.

The little transistor house looks cool .
    Account Deleted

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post

Mark has been building little houses to shield my transistors from the draught.

I had a head to head with a Tom Evans Groove Anniversary yesterday. Both were set up for the specified loading of my cart. To be frank the TE got it's ass handed to it. Better bass, more coherent top to bottom, better resolution and more dynamic contrast from my own ickle diy stage.

Does anyone fancy the challenge?
    Nice one, Simon... I'll bring my Croft and Ortofon ST-80SE round, after the holidays (end of August) and we can have a play. You need a decent hard-wired, PCB-free, valve MM phono stage/MC SUT combination to give those tranny-boy active MC upstarts a royal rogering!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 76 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast