+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 76 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY phonostage.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
    Far above what I can do, my knowledge of electronics is limited to welding and bashing
    I was thinking about using complementary Toshibas for the mirrors as they do not have such a wide HFE span as the not so complementary BC337-40
    I am sure the PSU would also benefit from a re- design maybe use Zen Mod Shunty
    The unit I intend to build will have nothing in common with the Paradise other than the transconductance operating principle. All circuitry is of my own design. I don't discuss circuit details as I'm running a business and consider this proprietary
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    The unit I intend to build will have nothing in common with the Paradise other than the transconductance operating principle. All circuitry is of my own design. I don't discuss circuit details as I'm running a business and consider this proprietary
    Without going into details, just sticking to general principles, what's the attraction of transconductance?

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Without going into details, just sticking to general principles, what's the attraction of transconductance?
    I'm afraid I don't want to discuss even basic principles of the technique... It's no secret but it's not that intuitive and not widely known either...
    Its down side is that it's not suitable for budget equipment as without negative feedback the characteristics of the components, especially the semiconductors, become critical and closely matched parts are essential for proper operation. There may be only £2 worth of transistors used but it takes hours going through bags of the things to select ones that match to the required tolerance!

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    . There may be only £2 worth of transistors used but it takes hours going through bags of the things to select ones that match to the required tolerance!
    Send them to Simon SQ to do it for you, I think he secretly enjoys it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

RothwellAudio Guest

Two quid's worth of transistors? Nah mate, won't sound any good - you need to be spending at least sixteen quid per transistor and getting them from a guru who sells audiophile transistors. It's all about quality components, see? The stuff that the rest of the world relies on everyday to keep us safe, keep the wheels of industry turning etc. just won't cut it for sound quality. Got to get transistors with the right tone.

I'm Jez.

Two quid's worth of transistors? Nah mate, won't sound any good - you need to be spending at least sixteen quid per transistor and getting them from a guru who sells audiophile transistors. It's all about quality components, see? The stuff that the rest of the world relies on everyday to keep us safe, keep the wheels of industry turning etc. just won't cut it for sound quality. Got to get transistors with the right tone.

I'm Sandro.

All I can say (for lack of knowledge not for mercenary intention) the speed of the Paradise is unbelievable.
    If a sound is on the record, the T before the finger completely closes the holes on a flute for example, will be there to ear.

Maybe it would be wise to listen to one before much posting

I'm Sandro.

Martin Tanks for advice
    Simon I have sent you 4000 337-40

No not really
    The problem whit the transistor selection and from the paradise design spec. the tolerance was 10% is that the 40 grades of the PNP and NPN pairs ranges from 250 to 650 so far I had no problem whit finding the PNP for the NPN parts it has been much more of a strain most of the batches I have range over the 460 mark
    I have a lot on the 500 to 540, Is just pot luck to get the right bag of transistors from the suppliers

I have built the R2 in a rush it was one of the very first and can not even remember what Hfe I used ,still it sounded pretty good , for the next one on the R3 boards I want to use 1% matching and transistors whit HFE of 400 for the input stage, this may be border-line Paranoid skizzo or whatever not sure which as my Mum had me tested at the age of 5 and it was along time ago, and purely because at the same time as the Paradise R2 I had Sallas Simplistic running and the Simplistic sounded better for staging
    The 400 HFE came up due to same reports of oscillation, that I did not have.

Once the R3 is up and running I will re design the PCB on single layer boards and whit the shortest track length possible this may sort out the oscillation problems it would be then the time to use hi HFE samples that should in theory sound even better.

I have no mercenary intention nor a business to run (do we really need to go there )and I am doing this just because I want to learn new things....

So do not let the transistor matching issue blow out of proportion or be put off by commercial second ends...

I'm Andrew.

I've got 1% matched in mine and they sound excellent although this is soon to be changed to matched 0.01% tolerance in some areas
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Sandro.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I've got 1% matched in mine and they sound excellent although this is soon to be changed to matched 0.01% tolerance in some areas
    Cool
    where did you get the transistors from ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 76 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast