+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY phonostage.

I'm Simon.

systems

My own psu is a relatively modest one with no chokes or common mode coils. But it is CRCRCR with 10,000uf caps. It's enough! I'll test this week against a full bore one from the group buy and make a decision if I think the added cost is worth it.

I think you'll be very happy. If yours has been carefully built it should sound great.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Martin.

You must be starting to get good at building these at this stage Simon.
    Analogue: Technics SL1210 M5G, AN Arm One/II, Blue Angel Mantis MC
    Amps: Devialet 200
    Speakers: Usher Mini 2 Dancer DMD
    Cables: Supra, Mark Grant, Reference Fidelity
    DIY System Audiosector Gainclone, Salas DCB1, AudioSector MC Phono stage

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post

Another full monty Paradise due to head out into the wild soon. Just waiting on a set of replacement dropper resistors to trim the output voltage from the pre-regs and it'll be done.
    Very Nice, superb job that Simon

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Simon.

cheers gents here's another one waiting in the wings for a UK based music lover. He's taking one over a top spec Whest...

This one is special, the first one with new organic polymer caps in the shunt, very low ESR, some fancy unobtanium 2k170 jfets and the usual mix of laboriously hand matched transistors.

I'm not normally that retentive but just for shits and giggles I matched the RIAA section out to +/- 2pf between channels (from 33,000pf, it's been a slow day).
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Simon.

Just completed yet another build, that puts it at 13 so far.

The last unit has been built up with toroids in the psu and it's physically silent, no hum until you put your ear on the case work. I think that's going to be the standard from here on in. It adds a fair chunk of change to the overall build cost but the difference is not slight. Andy, I think you'll want this done to yours. I'm building a new psu for my own use, when its done I can bring it round and you can hear it back to back with yours.

There's also upgrades to the shunt, 2sk170 beat the J113 for noise and speed. They're hard to find and about £20 for a matched set but well worth it.
    Organic caps for the shunt, 6 new capacitors with lower ESR for a stiffer psu, there's about £10 in cost but a whole load of work in removing the heatsinks and desoldering tricky to reach parts. And there's 2 surface mount caps to fit onto through hole pads- about as tricky as it gets...

I'll bring it all over so you can hear the differences.

pictures tonight....

I'm Nick.

There's also upgrades to the shunt, 2sk170 beat the J113 for noise and speed. They're hard to find and about £20 for a matched set but well worth it.
    LSK170 would be worth considering

http://www.diyaudio.com/store/parts/...-jfet-215.html
    Nick.

I'm Andrew.

Just completed yet another build, that puts it at 13 so far.

The last unit has been built up with toroids in the psu and it's physically silent, no hum until you put your ear on the case work. I think that's going to be the standard from here on in. It adds a fair chunk of change to the overall build cost but the difference is not slight. Andy, I think you'll want this done to yours. I'm building a new psu for my own use, when its done I can bring it round and you can hear it back to back with yours.

Organic caps for the shunt, 6 new capacitors with lower ESR for a stiffer psu, there's about £10 in cost but a whole load of work in removing the heatsinks and desoldering tricky to reach parts. And there's 2 surface mount caps to fit onto through hole pads- about as tricky as it gets...

I'll bring it all over so you can hear the differences.

pictures tonight....
    F'kin 'ell Simon I'd thought I'd done with this upgrade mi'larkyk, ok put my name down. As always your more than welcome to come over. It might be worth a little wait however as I have some rather interesting new Tannoy speaker cabs being custom made as we speak
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Simon.

Yeh the LSK is a shoe in, same price with post from the US by the time they're here though.

I'm Nick.

Yeh the LSK is a shoe in, same price with post from the US by the time they're here though.
    Depending on the Idss you need Micross in the uk have them (b are £1.80 each).

https://www.micross.com/ecommerce/shop-default.aspx
    Nick.

I'm Simon.

Its b I would use.

Here's number fourteen shaping up nicely.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast