+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 76 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY phonostage.

I'm Simon.

Nat it was a long one to keep track of, the good threads always are. first impressions are good, very good.

Paul, i think I'm juts going to build it up low-rent in the first instance, using crappy plugs and any old coax for signal. Once I'm 100% sure of the locations of all the parts and routing then I'll move onto something better, so i might be in touch in a couple of weeks.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Jim.

I'm not much of a cable guy... being a hard-core DIYer.

But I do know that you could try all the RCA jacks in the world and never find one better than just making a captive cable tied directly into the MPP's input.

I'm Simon.

That's a great suggestion. Except this will be in 3 boxes when finished and my tonearm cable is one piece, so if I soldered it to the boards I'd have to remove the tonearm to move the boxes round...

I like ruthless minimalism as much as the next man but that may be too hairshirt even for me. I'll settle for a continuous shield from headshell to input points on the board via short lengths of internal coax.

Ring-Ring! Awesome my transformers are here. I can wire up the other channel.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Guy.

Are you restricted to RCA phonos in something that is for your own personal use?

I've never actually done any listening comparisons between RCA & other types of connector but do find it plausible that other types might give a better result.
    Of course it would then require custom cabling but you could certainly hardwire the o/p cables in place.

I'm Jim.

The other option to consider is a phono-DIN.

Or Lemos. They are really nice.

I'm Simon.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I went with the cheap AudioNote silvers, because they have a small hole mount diameter which leaves room for fancy plugs later.

I'm Simon.

Well I finally got it all wired and fired yesterday. Left channel was a little hollow sounding and stereo was a bit off. Traced it down a short between the source and gate of one of the transistors that feed a current mirror. Dirty dollop of solder removed and hey presto.

I'm Simon.

Lizzie caught me making some annotations to mod my phonostage this morning, and asked me what all the symbols meant, capacitor, LED and resistors. This afternoon she came in while I was soldering and asked if she could make something for my hifi.

The chav cap was her idea...

I'm Patrick.

The girl's got talent. I think you should make the led light up for her though.

I'm Simon.

Next time round I'll do a couple handing over a baton in a relay race that way i can make it a circuit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 76 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast