+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 76 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY phonostage.

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    How far off flat is the Paradise?
    I'd need to look it up but as far as I remember 0.4dB@20Hz and similar @20kHz when simulated with Spice , measured was slightly different .

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by mac72 View Post
    Not sure what cart was used but if Paradise sounded flat and lifeless there must have been something awfully wrong with the setup.
    From the guy who had the modify his own Paradise to tame liveliness?

It sounded flat, it was my own unit from home. Unless the mains in the building was under 240v i can't see a reason for it, other than low loading. Anything much under 240v would have the shunt undersupplied and not 'shunting'/ I have 245v at home so have it rigged for that with little headroom.

I've heard a lot of Paradises in a lot of different set-ups and with a lot of different carts. One thing holds true with all of them, they sound best with carts that require a higher loading, Benz, Linn's, Lyras. They also manage to shine with Audio Note carts as well, so maybe there's some trade with impedance and inductance. They don't sound great with 103's, and Alan's cart apparently.

With the right cart they're sublime.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Slav.

I think you misunderstood what I've said , I meant TT-cart setup as I would never describe Paradise as flat and lifeless

I'm Slav.

Not very far off then, and only at the frequency extremes.
    Not much , you're right but getting closer to RIAA surprisingly made a difference,

I'm Alan.

This has got me intrigued. My cartridge is a ZYX R-100 which is recommended to see a load of over 100ohms. I have never had a problem with loading it in various phono stages to give an excellent result.
    Does the Paradise not present a resistive load at the input, with whatever additional shunt resistance and/or capacitance added for loading?
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Micky.

How far off flat is the Paradise?
    You sit a plate on them and it don’t wobble ��

I'm mark.

Alan, if it's Yatra, its 4 ohm internal load. I've got AT 37 which should be stunning (similar to Art 7) but 3 ohms, it isn't setting me alight

Koetsu's off for rebuild, got a PTG ATM .

I'm Slav.

Not very far off then, and only at the frequency extremes.
    If I have time I check later tonight , RIAA deviated to max. at frequency extremes then dropped slowly while approaching 1kHz

I'm Simon.

Alan. Yeh there's a 10K straight after the input into the front end. The native impedance comes out about 1200 ohm according to simulation.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Simon.

I don't know whether it's a curiosity of the input stage topology or what, but the absolute sweet spot is with higher impedance carts at least with the house riaa balance.

Slav, No issue with the deck or cart. They were fine sounding.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 76 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast