+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY phonostage.

I'm Deleted.

I can attest that Si does have a lot of experience of the Paradise, not just building them but hearing it in differing systems and different cartridges. Personally I’ve heard quite a few of his different phonostage builds but have only heard it with my own modded Linn Troika and his Benz LP. One thing you have to consider is that, unlike a lot of stages, it is extremely chameleon like. That is to say, one minute you are playing a couple of records and thinking ‘oh it could have a bit more weight in the bass’ (for example) and then you put on another record and suddenly you are pinned to the seat by the bass slam and extension!
    Account Deleted

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    I don't know whether it's a curiosity of the input stage topology or what, but the absolute sweet spot is with higher impedance carts at least with the house riaa balance.

Slav, No issue with the deck or cart. They were fine sounding.
    I've tried different carts with Paradise , Benz seems to be the match in my case (settled on Wood SL for now) , couldn't get Paradise to work it's best with Zyx carts ( R50 , R100 Yatra) , too much positive energy I guess
    I checked my simulation , house curve bumps 20Hz by 0.8dB and at 20kHz by 0.4dB when simulated , tested is a bit less , I was quite happy with the sound when I dropped low freq. difference to 0.4dB , best balance in my system is with curve close to RIAA (0.1dB) yet bass on some records frightens me sometimes , in a positive way .

I'm Simon.

There's a lot of bass on some vinyl. I have a couple of electronic/EDM albums with stygian bass in the grooves.

Here's number 'whatever it is' done and dusted and heading off to Notts soon.

And the business end, with stylish air vent closure (EVA foam )

Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Steve.

Can’t wait.

Bigman80 Guest

There's a lot of bass on some vinyl. I have a couple of electronic/EDM albums with stygian bass in the grooves.

Here's number 'whatever it is' done and dusted and heading off to Notts soon.

And the business end, with stylish air vent closure (EVA foam )

That looks incredibly well assembled. Can I ask what wire you use for the PCB to phono sockets?
    Last edited by Bigman80; 02-05-2018 at 18:38.

I'm Simon.

It's a microcoax, all copper. Well shielded.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Simon.

Bigman80 Guest

It's a microcoax, all copper. Well shielded.
    Micro coax ? Off to google

I'm Deleted.

He just means it's a thin coax cable. You can get it from HiFi Collective - I used some silver plated copper stuff (PTFE insulated I think) from them in my build.

Si, I love those adjustable loading plugs - very neat!
    Account Deleted

I'm Deleted.

I used this stuff I think - though you could also get it in black back then:

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wir...ened-wire.html
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast