+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lampizator P17 OBs

I'm Rob.

Default Lampizator P17 OBs

I bought a pair these about 10 years ago from a friend of a member on HFWigwam. Long story short the construction was not as the stock picture but in two parts, the Mid and HF units were in a separate column which sat on a box housing the bass units. All 3 units had been fitted to thick and heavy worktop stuff. The dimensions made it difficult to get them to work properly in my room and moving them about was no easy feat. They were stored and forgotten.

In the last 3 weeks I have been making a baffle that I thought would suit the room much better and....it does....in spades. They sound like a completely different beast. Using an ACA Mini for Mid and HF and active bass regulation. They sound stunning. I sweated a lot and am glad it was all worth while.

Original dimensions :-

New baffle. Ignore the mess

Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Martin.

I never knew Lampizator did any loudspeakers.

They look interesting - and better in the new baffle. What are the crossover frequencies?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Rob.

I have never thought about that....if it sounds alright to me....it is I am sure there must be info somewhere. I will have a look.

I'm Martin.

looks like the LF rolls off by 400Hz, can't see anything about the rest of it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Chris.

Welcome to the club, Looks good, but I would get them a bit further away from the walls if you can, particulaly the wall directly behing the speakers. 4ft to this rear wall is OK.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    Welcome to the club, Looks good, but I would get them a bit further away from the walls if you can, particulaly the wall directly behing the speakers. 4ft to this rear wall is OK.
    I think they are about that. The pic may be deceptive. Will measure.

I'm Chris.

How you getting on?
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Rob.

Thanks for asking. Very well. The mishmash of crap on the rack in the pic was purely for testing purposes. Having run them with one amp for all drivers I thought that there was too much midrange for my taste coming from the LFs.

I built them so that I could bi-amp or not according to taste so I tried my ACA Mini for the Mid and HF and a separate amp for the LF with an active crossover which initially I thought sounded far better.

I am currently using an APPJ (Miniwatt) 3.5w EL84 amp for the Mid and HF and a Sony ES for the LF using the passive crossover to very good effect. Quite holographic with a good spread and depth. I am glad I re-homed them in what is for me and my room a far better match and the results are far better too, rather then leaving to gather dust for another 10 or so years or selling them and not realising their worth.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I never knew Lampizator did any loudspeakers.

They look interesting - and better in the new baffle. What are the crossover frequencies?
    Here is a thread I started 5 years ago, about the crossover

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=161048.0
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    Here is a thread I started 5 years ago, about the crossover

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=161048.0
    Hi Chris, I have read all of the Audio Circle thread you linked to and it found it extremely interesting and informative. Tweaking these things really is a bit of minefield. Despite having tinnitus too I have no problem with the Mid and Tweeter response, it is the LF that for me seems to intrude too far up than I would like. One of the posters said that the LF goes up to 900hz.

I have spent too many years DIYing stuff and tweaking components and often chasing my tail around and around to faff about too much with the Lampz, but I might try some different values for the caps and inductors on the LF to bring it down to 6 - 700hz.

Have you finished tweaking yours?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast