+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 76 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY phonostage.

I'm Simon.

Alan, as I said the Paradise sounded flat and lifeless on Saturday, that cart should have been up at 600r, not 180ish which was where I had it.

It's fair to say you've not heard what the Paradise does. If you go to Marks you will though....
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Alan.

That's fair enough but I don't understand where you are getting 600 ohms from, for a cart with a 4 ohm internal resistance.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Micky.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    We had the Paradise and Nick's Music First stages back to back at one of the NEBOs and as far as I was concerned you could not put a fag paper between them, they were both astonishingly good. Just on another level entirely from everything else. Never mind there being anything better out there, I'd be amazed if it was even possible to make something better.

I'd get that Paradise finished quick-time if I were you
    10k v under 2k ! The Paradise must be a real real Billy bargain..Glad I got one 😀

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    We had the Paradise and Nick's Music First stages back to back at one of the NEBOs and as far as I was concerned you could not put a fag paper between them, they were both astonishingly good. Just on another level entirely from everything else. Never mind there being anything better out there, I'd be amazed if it was even possible to make something better.
    Thanks Macca guess that must have been my Paradise Phono and I agree they are very nice, I have improved the power supply since then but still not fitted the calvins, will get round to it soon hopefully

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Simon.

Trust me, it needs higher loading and will probably benefit from a couple of 'n' to widen the Q.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Slav.

Not sure what cart was used but if Paradise sounded flat an lifeless there must have been something awfully wrong with the setup . In my setup I had to tame "liveliness" by going with different RIAA values , Paradise when the material is right keeps you on the edge of the seat but at the same time with different music could be very subtle .
    I heard(owned) several phonostages and closest to Pardise was Trilogy 907 , probably not exactly there but could live with if I had to .
    I'd love to hear Alan's phono but distance seems to be an issue , shame

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by 337alant View Post
    Thanks Macca guess that must have been my Paradise Phono and I agree they are very nice, I have improved the power supply since then but still not fitted the calvins, will get round to it soon hopefully

Alan
    Yes it was your one, Alan. The first time I heard that was the NEBO previous where it was being used with Ken's concrete Techy, your Avondale amps and the Celestion 66 speakers.

I recall someone put on some Kansas, which isn't my sort of thing, but there was a bit where the four of them are harmonising and the soundstage was truly holographic, like they were stood there in 3 dimensions between the speakers. Jaw dropping moment for me. I did not think a vinyl record could achieve that to that level of perfection.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm mark.

Quote Originally Posted by mac72 View Post
    Not sure what cart was used but if Paradise sounded flat an lifeless there must have been something awfully wrong with the setup . In my setup I had to tame "liveliness" by going with different RIAA values , Paradise when the material is right keeps you on the edge of the seat but at the same time with different music could be very subtle .
    I heard(owned) several phonostages and closest to Pardise was Trilogy 907 , probably not exactly there but could live with if I had to .
    I'd love to hear Alan's phono but distance seems to be an issue , shame
    Oh how our ears are different ! I've boxed the Paradise with Trichord, 907 in the Naim/Edwards camp for PRAT and liveliness.

Needless to say Paradise is the best I've heard, but I don't think I'm getting the best out of AT37, 3ohm internal impedance. Keeping an eye on solutions

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I wouldn't recommend deviating from the RIAA spec. Something somewhere must be very wrong if you have to do that.
    Paradise's RIAA isn't flat , in my version I matched RIAA to within 0.1dB

I'm Grant.

one man's chalk is another's cheese
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 76 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast