+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 76 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY phonostage.

I'm Slav.

Paradise up and running , I have checked outputs with 1kHz sinewave :

there is a bit of 50Hz mains oscillation but I haven't done any grounding arrangement yet
    Thanks to Mark (YNWOAN)
    I have nice acrylic panels for PSU case but need to replace ss bolts with black ones:

here is the back

I'm still not sold on the sound , I think its due to RIAA curve being bumped quite a lot @20kHz which don't suit my setup much.
    I calculated different RIAA component values to get me closer to "flat" response and I give it another go tomorrow .
    Last edited by mac72; 11-11-2017 at 08:32.

I'm Sandro.

Yes agree
    posted values by Riccardo should be beterer
    But hang on till capacitors had a chance to forming
    and what is your cart ? and loading ?

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
    Yes agree
    posted values by Riccardo should be beterer
    But hang on till capacitors had a chance to forming
    and what is your cart ? and loading ?
    I tried with Benz Ace SL , might stick Zyx on if I find some time . I'm not massive believer in loading and I normally stick with x8-10 value of cart internal impedance , so 100ohm in this case.
    Ricardo's Riaa is a way off the flat , Salas seems to be much closer with slight 0.5dB rise at 20Hz
    Gain measurement is sort of inconclusive , I get something above 65dB but it might be my uncalibrated Tektronix playing little trick on me , I'm surprised it works at all.
    I tested frequency response of Benz/Paradise combo , looks quite good +/- 2-2.5dB , unfortunately I had to do it in two stages 30-500Hz and 500Hz-20kHz as 20-20kHz track on my test record isn't very good below 500Hz.
    30-500Hz

500Hz-20kHz (green curve)

New almost flat RIAA on the paper looks good +/- 0.05dB , hopefully I'll try this weekend if not it's going to be 2-3weeks time
    Last edited by mac72; 11-11-2017 at 08:35.

I'm Slav.

For RIAA I bought these:
    http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/sil-so...61727269657226
    they come on the carrier with 2.54mm spacing which makes them easy to solder in position, Riaa components could be changed in a matter of minutes , I couldn't live long term with MIIB tuning tbh ,

I'm Slav.

All above measurement taken with 11.95nF - 33.3nF - 9.1k - 67.7k ,close to Salas values , with 0.5dB rise at 20Hz and 0.1dB rise at 20kHz , sounds good with forceful bass , silky highs and prominent midrange.
    MIIB seems to degrade midband in my system to the point where it becomes quite annoying
    Last edited by mac72; 11-11-2017 at 16:06.

I'm Sandro.

WP_20171116_11_36_18_Pro.jpgWP_20171116_11_32_34_Pro.jpg
    I have used the Vanilla values on the R3 build
    Agree whit you there is a lift on the hi
    I have taken a quick measurement whit true RTA and a test record
    values are not calibrated as the sound card is ... and I do not have a clue on how to use the program

I will try to dig out the passive inverted RIAA and make same better test

One thing I like to say: I quite like the way it sound as it is and so far I have not found a phono stage that I like better and that my ears are not what they used to be considering that I have been working in nosy factories for the past 25 years. So maybe a bit of lift is what I need

This is where DIY came to its own as one have the chance to change things a bit to his liking instead off base part of his choices on reviews that may not be honest at times

I have same long term plans for the Paradise involving the re-design of the circuit boards, this I am pretty good at,
    I am planning on the PSU and Calvin buffers whit power devices at the edge of the boards so that the sinks are part of the box and dissipate to the outside.

The input transistor lay out could also be much better smaller foot print and short tracks possibly eliminating the reported problems whit oscillation and maybe use much higher Hfe

The R2 build that Simon heard IMO has much more punch that this R3 build I have and that had the input transistors loosley matched to Hfe of 520 or 550
    Its is going to be a single sided lay out whit one or 2 jumper leads if needed
    But " I am going to be same time "
    Any way here are the TrueRTA screen shots take those whit a pinch of salt

I'm Simon.

Nice result. I've just shipped one off the the States. I have one set of built boards and buffers left then that's it for Paradises builds.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Micky.

Love my Paradise /301/Moerch Dp6/Koetsu Rosewood Signature ..Match in heaven !!

I'm Simon.

They bring out the best in a decent mc.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Slav.

I'm looking for grounding posts for the back panel , anyone knows a source

+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 76 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast