+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Croft Super Micro IV - hum

I'm Johan.

Default Croft Super Micro IV - hum

Hi everybody!

I am a lucky owner of a Croft Super Micro IV (octal) with a hum problem. It only occurs at the phono-input. When i touch the right cannel plug it hums in the left channel. I have opened the unit, power on, connected to a power-amp and tried to provoke the hum with a plastic stick touching the inside parts - with no tt connected. No hum. Connected to the tt, it hums in the left channel when i touch the plastic on the right channel plug. I am using a din to rca adapter. The tt is a Dual 1219, but i also have a Lenco L75. Same problem using any of the tt`s.

Anyone with the same experience, with a good advice?

I'm Martin.

If I am reading you right then it doesn't hum unless you touch the plug?

It's a ground loop, not uncommon if you are using a turntable but can happen with other equipment too.

Can be very hard to track down the cause. It doesn't necessarily mean that anything is faulty.

Do you use a grounding wire from turntable to amplifier? Most TTs have one and most amps with phono stages with have a connecter to hook it up to. If you are try disconnecting it, if not then try connecting it, see if the problem persists.

If it really only happens when you touch the plug then I would just avoid touching the plug, and not worry about it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Lawrence.

I'd rather have an amp that only hummed when I touched it than an amp that only hummed when I didn't touch it. I'd struggle to enjoy listening to the latter if I had to stand next to it all the time to touch it. So you can consider yourself lucky

Sent from my PCT-L29 using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Plastic is an insulator, so I don't understand how you can create a ground loop. Nor do I understand how, when touching the right channel plug, it hums on the left channel.

Make sure the RCA plugs are pushed fully home. If the outer part doesn't make good contact you can often get a problem with hum, because the earth return is being shared between the two channels.
    Barry

I'm Josie.

Double check that you have the speakers connected correctly left and right. If not, it could be the reason the other channel hums when you touch the plugs on your pre.

Sent from my BBC Microcomputer 32K
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Johan.

Thank you for your replies!

@Macca and Lawrence: Yes you`re right. Better aviod touching it. But i`m still curious about it.
    @Barry: contacts cleaned, so it shall be ok.
    @The Black Adder: Done, and connections is ok.

Is the problem now solved Johan?
    Barry

I'm Johan.

Yes. I got inspired to find an adapter (din/rca) with seperate grounding. The Croft sounds great now!

Well done - happy listening!
    Barry

I'm Josie.

Cool... Hum is very annoying. Enjoy the music

Sent from my BBC Microcomputer 32K
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast