+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Linn Service

MartinT Guest

Thanks everyone, I'll pass all the info on

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

At least the guys at Overture (the nearest) were properly trained to do the work and if they're still heavily into the brand, will have all the basic parts in stock if needed...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    A friend of mine has just got her Linn Sondek LP12 out of the loft after a number of years in storage. Which dealership in the Reading or Thames Valley area could do a full service on it, please?
    As Dave says he can set one up.
    Journey to just the other side of Stanstead, but you have someone who knows what they are doing. The money saved will more than pay for the petrol too !
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm ILOB.

Also Richard at Harrow Audio can help might be a bit to far but he pretty good with the Linn and a nice guy to deal with and was trained by Linn
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Neal.

Neal - do you know if they work on the deck?
    Yes, well the used to when I had my LP12....its been a few years since I had one, the guys there are very experienced...
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Also Richard at Harrow Audio can help might be a bit to far but he pretty good with the Linn and a nice guy to deal with and was trained by Linn
    I've known Richard for over thirty five years - he is a great friendly guy who will always do his best for you.

The thing is, so many of us oldies-from-the-industry have the skills, but not the readily available parts, to update and properly service an LP12. The old fruitbox may look childishly simple (it is basically), but vagaries in manufacture up until the early 90's meant that no two decks were ever quite the same. Dressing the tonearm cable and PROPERLY clamping it in the P clip was essential to good performance. Years of practice in "pre-forming" the P clip helped a lot, but I've seen loads of cables half crushed on one side and not gripped on the other for example. A thin Rega RB250 cable often needed tieing to the pillar Grace style at one end and packing out (I sometimes used matchsticks) in the P clip at the other.

The above sounds almost ridiculous, but we thought it made a difference at the time, and that's before we've judged how tight "tight" should be and got the belt and mat properly aligned...

This is why I tried to subtly push Overture, since they are long-standing Linn dealers and should be well skilled in quickly and consistently getting a fruitbox to behave properly. Not too far up the road from Reading either?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I've known Richard for over thirty five years - he is a great friendly guy who will always do his best for you.

The thing is, so many of us oldies-from-the-industry have the skills, but not the readily available parts, to update and properly service an LP12. The old fruitbox may look childishly simple (it is basically), but vagaries in manufacture up until the early 90's meant that no two decks were ever quite the same. Dressing the tonearm cable and PROPERLY clamping it in the P clip was essential to good performance. Years of practice in "pre-forming" the P clip helped a lot, but I've seen loads of cables half crushed on one side and not gripped on the other for example. A thin Rega RB250 cable often needed tieing to the pillar Grace style at one end and packing out (I sometimes used matchsticks) in the P clip at the other.

The above sounds almost ridiculous, but we thought it made a difference at the time, and that's before we've judged how tight "tight" should be and got the belt and mat properly aligned...

This is why I tried to subtly push Overture, since they are long-standing Linn dealers and should be well skilled in quickly and consistently getting a fruitbox to behave properly. Not too far up the road from Reading either?
    Dave, I would urge any Linn LP12 owner who is wedded to his/her deck for life should learn how to set it up themselves, its not like building or maintaining the Sydney Harbour bridge. What is essential are logical common sense and proceedure, the correct tools, not numerous, and a good set up jig as most of the work is carried out from underneath the deck, a bit like looking up a Scotsman's kilt sort of thing I hasten to add that I have never attempted this not being that way inclined! Spare parts such as grommets, springs, belts etc are readily available (at a price) from the likes of Russ Andrews and The House of Linn etc. Outboard PSU units for the LP12 are also easily obtained via an internet search as are set up manuals. The mystic of setting up has been ongoing since the conception of the Linn LP12 as the hourly rate charged by most professionals is exorbitant and a good money earner! Having rebuilt my two LP12s, one Linn spec one modified, and periodically performing an MOT type tune up led me to confidently tackle extensive work on my Techy. Message: If you love turntables learn how they work, learn how to work on them.

Lest you forget Dave, it was you who taught me the black art skills during the old Hertfordshire days when the spring driven wind up gramophone was beginning to fade in popularity

MartinT Guest

I may have recruited another member to AoS. In any case, she has read this thread and is grateful to everyone for the info

I'm Mike.

I may have recruited another member to AoS. In any case, she has read this thread and is grateful to everyone for the info
    Is she barmy enough ?
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

MartinT Guest

Possibly

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast