+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Power surge

I'm Dave.

Default Power surge

Saturday morning, we had no electric for approx 1 hour. It didn't go off completely as some lights still worked but just a glow, so I'm assuming we still had a few volts.

When the power came on, our gas boiler stopped working and when the engineer inspected it he said " the control PCB has been blown ". Sincee then we have had no central heating and no hot water.

We have contacted the electricity supplier to complain and see what they can offer us in compensation, bearing in mind we have to run a couple of fan heaters constantly. However, they say that they are not liable and we should claim on our house insurance.

My question - is the electricity supplier liable for damage and the results ?

I'm Stephen.

On the face of it you would think that they would be, but it doesn't appear to be that clear cut.

I found this if it helps any:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...ad.php?t=57003

I'm scott.

dave fit a type 2 or type 1 arrestor into your consumer unit / fusebox
    ( need a qualified sparky for this )
    same size as a 2pole circuit breaker , surge protection/lightning/overvoltage
    about £ 100 plus fitting

I'm ChrisB.

As far as I understand from my father (a retired power engineering consultant) Dave, if they allow the voltage to rise more than 7.5% of the 240 volt rating that they are contractually obliged to provide, they are responsible for any damage caused.
    Trouble is that you have to prove it happened.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

When are you expecting to be up, running and warm? I reckon the above recommendation for the pukka "arrestor" is the best way to go.. I mean, you could claim on the boiler manufacturers possibly for not having adequate in-rush protection on the mains feed to the control board since the telly, computer and whatever HiFi you had switched on at the time didn't suffer, but then, it's proof init
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Dave.

Thanks all.

I think the trouble will be to prove that they caused the damage and this I can't do. Andr'e sent me a link to a forum which confirmed that the supplier never causes damage intentionally, it is always equipment failure, storm damage or whatever, so they have no responsibility to pay out.

As it is, we have now had the boiler repaired by British Gas under their maintenance scheme and we are back to normal but we did have three days of misery. It's amazing how we have become hooked on what used to be luxuries.

+ Reply to Thread