+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Microfibre cloths and washing up liquid are the business!

I'm Peter.

Has anyone tried using PVA wood glue to clean records?
    See here: http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=320.0

I'm Neil.

Default Brave.....Very Brave !!!!

Hi Symon

Thanks for the link....boy if I had some reservations about using record cleaning machines and cleaning fluids then using PVA glue would give me a heart attack. However in saying that if it works....ummm, it would be something you could use for very badly dirty S/H albums. I think the cost would be to prohibitive for cleaning anything but the worst. This method is both time consuming and, well if you get it wrong....you have a wrecked lp, or at the least one you have to clean several times. Its a pity in the last few posts about the self peeling PVA that they don't name that one. However is it available in the UK ?

Anyway thanks for the very interesting link. Approach this one with extreme caution..

Regards D S D L----Neil
    Regards Neil

I'm Nick.

Folks over on AudioKarma seem to think it works. The main thing is ensuring the glue stays away from the label. I've never tried it, but it's supposed to work
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Neil.

I am a member of Audio Karma...I could ask some questions.

Nick post a link.

Regards D S D L---Neil
    Regards Neil

I'm gone.

Being solidly back in the 'enjoy my vinyl' camp and with all of my LPs being used and usually picked up at charity shops some method of cleaning is essential. Probably 60% require wet cleaning, a carbon fibre brush simply will not do!

I have a simpler method than shahsy though. Here's my edited version of his activity list ...

Quote Originally Posted by shahsy View Post
    3 - Clear all dishes from dish rack.
    4 - Run the taps so that water is lukewarm.
    Rinse record on both sides to remove loose particles
    5 - Add washing up liquid to a new dish washing sponge and apply to both sides of the record.
    Clean fairly vigorously with a spiral motion going around the LP several time - Repeat on side b of the record. Don't worry about getting the label wet, it doesn't matter.
    Rinse well
    8 - Place in dish rack and allow to drain and dry naturally.
    15 - Repeat for remaing 9 records. This all takes about 5-6 minutes.
    Works well for me - hang on while I get my flak jacket and tin hat and prepare to repel boarders!

Back in the day when LPs were my main music source I had a 'proper' Moth cleaning machine - I reckon I get 80% of the way there with my easy and cheap method - many LPs have been rescued from oblivion and are now very listenable. But yes, as Marco says, there are real benefits from going the whole hog but space considerations rule it out for me.

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I am a member of Audio Karma...I could ask some questions.

Nick post a link.
    It's a sticky http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99837

Enjoy!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm ChrisB.

As the owner of a Moth RCM, I've got to agree with Marco. You should really have a machine on your shopping list if you listen to a good amount of vinyl. I've never met anyone who owns one & regrets buying it. Ask yourself how often do you see them on the used market?

The other advantage is that you can get away with buying some really grotty looking car boot & charity shop samples, that you wouldn't dream of otherwise handing over cash for - you can usually beat the price down a bit too if you can show that they look knackered!

Problems: as Neil says, the noise is pretty horrendous
    ....and it's fairly time consuming - every new disc I buy gets the treatment & I'm slowly working my way through from A-Z.

I use a 25:75% mixture of isoprop' alcohol:distilled water.

As for putting gloopy stuff onto my records - not a chance. I tried that years ago with some proprietary jollop - it makes them look superficially clean, but deep down in the groove, they're just full of most of the same old crap. I proved this to myself after I got my machine by cleaning the jolloped discs with it. They were transformed.

If you can buy one, you should.

Here's an idea - Maybe some of the folks on here who live nearish to each other could get together & have shares in one? Or maybe, owners of them could lend or hire theirs out to others who are thinking of making the plunge. I'd consider this.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Here's an idea - Maybe some of the folks on here who live nearish to each other could get together & have shares in one? Or maybe, owners of them could lend or hire theirs out to others who are thinking of making the plunge. I'd consider this.
    Great idea, Chris! I'd willingly clean anyone's records on the VPI for a small charge (plus P&P), and I'd include an anti-static sleeve for each record in the price. Just send them to me and I'll clean them and return them shining inside a nice new sleeve

If anyone's interested in this, please PM me. I may actually start a separate thread about it. Those of us with professional cleaners could get together and offer a local record cleaning service in various areas of the UK.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post

Thanks Nick

Audiokarma is like going for a row on the Atlantic, when you are used to rowing on lake Windamere. Its so BIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG !

The record cleaning idea is a good one Marco....well done that man.

Regards D S D L---Neil
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123