+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help! playing Beatles records

Default Help! playing Beatles records

Hi, New to the forum please help me solve this problem.
    All my records play great on my turntable except original Beatles records. Does the problem lie with my speakers or is it my speaker cable.
    When i play a Beatles record the vocals are low and the harmony is over played in parts, there is no problem playing them through my Grados.

My Kit: Cyrus 6vs,cyrus 6, Wharfedale Evo 8,Nad pp2,Silver Aniversary XT cable

I'm Nick.

Hi there Smudge

Stupid question, and I hope you don't mind me asking, but are you sure your speakers are in-phase? You say it sounds OK over your headphones. Phase issues could cause mono sources to sound diffused and wishy-washy. With mono sources (are your Beatles records mono?) the sound should be clearly located in-between the speakers. If they sound like they extend outside the speakers once speaker could be wired wrongly... Try putting your speakers close together and facing each other. Do they seem to get quieter (cancel each other out) as you move them towards each other...?
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

Thanks for the reply.
    It wasn't a stupid question. When i was checking the polarity i noticed an even stupider mistake. I was running my right speaker from the biwire output of the left speaker instead. The sound difference as you can imagine is massive. I thought i had a problem with my speakers and now it is like getting an upgrade.
    Kind regards
    Chris

I'm Nick.

Excellent! I'm glad you got it sorted!

Do stick around, and if you're feeling up to it, say hello and a bit about your system in the 'Welcome' forum. It's always good to have a new member stop by
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

It's amazing how easily these things are done.
    Simon
    ------
    KEF Reference 201/2, Quad II Classic Integrated, Pure Sound P10, Pure Sound T10, Pro-Ject RPM 10, Pro-Ject 10cc, Goldring Legacy, Atlas Mavros speaker cable, NVA interconnects, Merlin Black Widow mains cables

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Yes, I've done something similar - connected the interconnect the wrong way - took me a few days to realise what was wrong...
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Beatles' records are perfect for phase checking as so many mixes were exaggerated stereo. Rubber Soul in stereo was vocals on one channel and backing on the other..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Alex.

"Help! playing Beatles records"

I thought that it was the Beatles that played Help!

Sorry!

I have to admit that on occasions I have accidentally wired one speaker out of phase. Usually from using badly marked or non marked cables.
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread