+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which CD Transport?

I'm Nuno.

Quote Originally Posted by roob View Post
    To test this theory swap out the cdp you are using now as a transport for a dvd or blu-ray player and see if you hear a difference, if you can then buy a dedicated transport.
    I did that, with a old Sony DVD and is a minor difference

I'm josh.

Any one got anything further to add to my original post?

I'm Geoff.

Yes!

Any Meridian CD player from 2 series onwards and any Pioneer 'stable platter' player (with analogue output) makes a great transport.

I own a Meridian 507 and a couple of Pioneer PD-S505 Precision players and use them only as transports. They sound very different, but work brilliantly, very musical.

I'm Nuno.

I'm Avinash.

Based on listening tests, the best CD transport I have owned is a Samsung Bluray player. This is after owning super duper heavily engineered transports such as the Electrocompaniet EMC1 based on Philips CDM Pro transport and turntable like isolation. It is only when I saw some jitter measurements that I realised why my ears were telling me that a £100 piece of equipment sounded better than a £3k one.
    If SQ is one of the main criterias, I would suggest listen with your own ears before shelling out £££'s on equipment that is aesthetically configured to appear like heavily engineered.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Yes!

Any Meridian CD player from 2 series onwards and any Pioneer 'stable platter' player (with analogue output) makes a great transport.

I own a Meridian 507 and a couple of Pioneer PD-S505 Precision players and use them only as transports. They sound very different, but work brilliantly, very musical.
    Good recommendations.

90s transports (Sony ES, Pioneer etc.) still offer the most natural, non-fatiguing sound for CD playback in my experience. Modern stuff generally has more digital artefacts & may even sound more 'detailed', but it's an etching of the sound.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Nuno.

I had the chance to buy a Sony 228 ESD . It seems the 327 ESD has a much better transport. The problem with these palyers are the lens that are no longer available!

I'm Phil.

i know its out of budget but i really like msb cd transport 4 . if the cd rom fails you simply unscrew the player and fit a new one
    it is a beautiful cd transport and quite an improvement on my last beautiful transport
    [bel canto cd 2]
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Josie.

+1 for the PD-91

I have one that may be up for sale soon... It's a minter! PM if interested...

I just need something cheap and decent to spin discs on these days as I'm using my turntable more and more.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Geoff.

Here you go. Meridian 206, just listed on eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Bo...item27cec93ce4

I've used one of these as a transport and it gives lovely musical results, sounds pretty damn good as a stand alone CD player anyway, built like battleship. It may go cheap.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast