+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Power Amp

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    The 3 Krells I mentioned are the only ones (that are close to what you can afford!) I'd personally consider - I never liked any of the integrated ones I've heard. You may love them though!
    Well the budget is not fixed but I don't wan't to go crazy I just don't believe it is necessary to spend stupid money to get a good sound. I am not far off as it is, CD replay in particular is realy good I just want to banish a tiny bit of wooliness and softness and get rid of the slight mid range bloom.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Bernie.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Thanks Chris - some good suggestions there. The jVC looks interesting but there is no info online at all. I have to bear in mind that the last power amp I bought (Sony 55ES) could not do the job. I passed up a Nakamichi power amp a while back, possibly a mistake?

Anyways Krell does seem to be winning at the moment as a sure fire solution. Anyone got one they want to sell? I'd consider an integrated also.
    Martin,

What did you think of the Sony sound wise?
    Bernie.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Canetoad View Post
    Martin,

What did you think of the Sony sound wise?
    I posted it up my thoughts here:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21413
    Current Lash Up:

I'm fightingmywayoutofawetecho.

Hi All

My New Years resolution is to get my system properly sorted even if it means spending proper money - what I need is a quality power amp - my speakers are a bastard to drive so I am looking for something that will double it's power into 4 ohm and, ideally, again into 2 ohm. Whaddya got?
    I reckon this would be great match with those rich sounding A2s.

http://www.hififorsale.com/adverts/f...lay/2088/mc650
    My System:

Linn Akurate DSM,Naim 32.5 pre amp Hicap,Naim Snaxo Hicap,3x Naim 250 power amps,Active Naim NBLs.
    Dave Hewitt MR PLANK 4 watt SE and Jm Lab Electra 905s.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Walker View Post
    I reckon this would be great match with those rich sounding A2s.

http://www.hififorsale.com/adverts/f...lay/2088/mc650
    Hi Ian, hows tricks? Yes MC2 is on the agenda too, I think. Not that one though as the fact that he has had it serviced and repaired recently makes me suspect it has had a hard life. Plus I'd rather buy from an AOS member or a dealer.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm fightingmywayoutofawetecho.

Hi Ian, hows tricks? Yes MC2 is on the agenda too, I think. Not that one though as the fact that he has had it serviced and repaired recently makes me suspect it has had a hard life. Plus I'd rather buy from an AOS member or a dealer.
    Fine ta Martin,just on the lookout for a new pre. I'd have no worries regarding MC2 amps theyre service dept is second to none.There is two on ebay now with a BIN of £1000.I had a pair of those spks many moons ago so have a good idea either a 450 or 650 MC2 would be ideal.

Ian.
    My System:

Linn Akurate DSM,Naim 32.5 pre amp Hicap,Naim Snaxo Hicap,3x Naim 250 power amps,Active Naim NBLs.
    Dave Hewitt MR PLANK 4 watt SE and Jm Lab Electra 905s.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I completely forgot the Quad 606/707/909 - and they DO happily drive 4 ohm loads too to over 200WPC in fairness to 'em. 606mk2 onwards is best here.

Be careful with mid period Krells though. I heard a huge one (KSA250?) and it was harsh as anything - absolutely headache inducing and nothing like the early ones or the then new FPB models. The KAV500 power amp was another harsh one which would blow its output stage at the slightest provocation. Of the slim integrateds the 300 was bright but clean, the 400 rather better and full-bodied. Absolutely blew Naim olive stuff away, but the sheep weren't interested and bought the Salisbury stuff instead - baaaaa!

Re preamps, croft obviously, but the positive vibes I and some here have had with the now old Krell KRC2 and Levinson ML28 should be borne in mind please. I was also a fan of the then expensive ARC SP14, and bearing in mind the high quality bits inside and age, the used price of around a grand is very attractive. This FET preamp wasn't as coloured as the others ARC made and stillmake I reckon, and this generation weren't as well liked because of it, since the US became infatuated with slush-boxes for preamps in the 80's and 90's IMO!
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Rob.

I have a Crown DC300A for sale bought and serviced by stewartwen from the wam.
    this bested a MC2 450,650,Parasound A21 worth a punt at £350 plus delivery.

I'm Clark.

The Musical Fidelity 550K's would fit the bill.

I'm biased as I own a pair but they will drive anything. The only problem is that they are now quite hard to find and if ebay is anything to go by, the prices are going up. The last pair on ebay UK went for just over £1.5k which is £300 more than I paid for mine new, albeit when they were discounted. It seems that the concept of a supercharger did not catch on and they were discontinued and only then people realised what an amazing power amp using the low level input they really are and treat the high level input is just an added bit of flexibility.

These are in Greece but it's worth looking out for a pair in the UK

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Musical-Fi...90619908422%26

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by RobsterD View Post
    I have a Crown DC300A for sale bought and serviced by stewartwen from the wam.
    this bested a MC2 450,650,Parasound A21 worth a punt at £350 plus delivery.
    I'll come back to you on that tomorrow Rob

Thanks
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast