+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Can you improve the stock techie bearing???

Mike_New Guest

I still have bearings available if you want one

I'm Ian.

Gerry
    I'm on holiday till the 24th and have limited internet access. I have replied to your PM
    Ian
    Technics 1200 tweaked,Ianmac Bearing,DACT DIY Phono Pre, Belcanto CD-2, Engineered Switzerland DIY Renderer, Benchmark DAC2, Hypex NCore, ATC SCM40
    2nd system --Engineered Switzerland DIY streamer, Sony CDP11,Topping D50 DAC, Hypex NCore. Kef 1point2 speakers. Ianmac Filters

I'm Valera.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianmac View Post
    Khom
    I'll try and post a picture of my underslung counterweight and Silicon filled Damper. (The latter ideally heeds a milling machine)
    If I cant get this to work ill let you know and we can arrange to send one by email.
    Something like this? See attached picture. Turned out from brass these days, counterweight mass center shifted down approx. 10 mm relative hole axis. Not so much as I want, but 1200 tonearm doesn't give many opportunities to improve. Listening now.

(Sorry for small offtopic).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Khom; 17-10-2016 at 16:20.
    Analog: Technics SL-1200MkII (RB300 tonearm, external PSU, separated power supply for all stages, improved bearing), MC Goldring Eroica LX, custom SUT 1:10, Balanced input J-FET DIY phonostage
    Digital: Cubietruck (headless Debian server, i2s output, external masterclock from DAC), content on HDD. DAC: Lynx D29v4 (Altera FPGA digital stream separator, 2*AD1853, 2*3 OP42 LPF)
    PA: DIY composite amplifier YES-3, schematic by Gennady Bragin
    Acoustic: DIY floorstanding 3-way SB Acoustics

I'm Ian.

I made mine slightly different.
    A hole on the underside was filled with lead ad screw on the underside end gave fine adjust.
    Ian
    Technics 1200 tweaked,Ianmac Bearing,DACT DIY Phono Pre, Belcanto CD-2, Engineered Switzerland DIY Renderer, Benchmark DAC2, Hypex NCore, ATC SCM40
    2nd system --Engineered Switzerland DIY streamer, Sony CDP11,Topping D50 DAC, Hypex NCore. Kef 1point2 speakers. Ianmac Filters

I'm Dimitris.

I read the entire thread after a looong time. Very interesting.

I was wondering if it would make sense to attach the chunky thrust plate sandwich on the turntable's body instead.
    Some of us are already coupling it to the big mass of the body with wax or bluetac with very nice results.

This could reduce the work required on the lathe and would eliminate the need to modify stock bearings. We would just remove the stock thrust plate, and attach the new one to the well of the body.

I understand that there could be issues with the plate's angle, but we can test this before rejecting it. The well's bottom could be molded perpendicularly enough to the screw base.

The other negative would be that this way there will be no way to have an oil "bath" on the shaft. But this can be overcome by frequent cleaning and lubricating with thick oil. Something that is a good idea anyway.

On a different subject, another idea could be a chunky meetal ring fitted and screwed tightly on top and around the stock bearing body, to increase its mass, rigidity and coupling with the turntables body.

I am no engineer so feel free to call me names for my ignorance

I'm Ian.

I have been reading up on the feedback on the forum re contact between the bearing and baseplate.
    There are a variety of ways it can be achieved and I have a few ideas I want to try as soon as I have finished the batch of bearings I promised.
    I dont like driving blind as it were and want to measure electronically the differences gained or lost by the various options so it will take a little time.
    As ever if any additional tweaks surface they will be DIY or made at LOW cost.
    Any new feedback on anyone's experiences would be welcome for the benefit of us all.
    Ian

I'm Dimitris.

Cool

About lubrication, I had very nice results with BP vanelus. It is a monograde oil (Like the factory Anderol 465 - SAE 30 / ISO 68).
    The only drawback is that it comes in 4L cans, but it is rather cheap.

I also tried the thin oil by singer, but I prefer the thicker one. It stays in place longer and the turntable runs more freely and for longer periods without relubrication.

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk
    Sources: Modified SL1200 MK2, Salas folded RIAA, Phonoclone, VSPS, Shelter 501 MK2, Modified Pioneer P6D6 as transport, Shigaclone transport, Peter Daniel NOS DAC.
    Amplification: Custom 211 Monoblocks, Electrocompaniet AW120, Audio Research VS110, Gainclone
    Loudspeakers: Tannoy Turnberry, PBN Montana EP Signature
    Cables/stands: Tempflex ribbon and Twinax cables
    Other: Promitheus Signature Passive Attenuator, Custom JFET - transformer preamp.

I'm Mike.

Anyone tried the Applied Fidelity bearing??

I'm Packgrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Anyone tried the Applied Fidelity bearing??
    I was ready to buy one until I found out that the guy who made them passed away.
    Analog: VPI Scout Jr. | Phoenix Engineering Falcon PSU | DIY tach | Funk Firm Achromat | Michell Clamp | AT33PTG/II | Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena | T.C. Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6 | Sonix IV ST136H Ultrasonic Cleaner | Okki Nokki Record Cleaning Machine

Digital: iBasso D14

Headphones: Lawton-modded Denon AH-D2000

I'm Sunil.

Anyone tried these thrust pads? I was thinking of either trimming so it’s round and attaching it between the end cap and actual bearing chamber or just screwing it in to the original holes in the bearing shaft . http://https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30...mis&media=COPY
    Also I’ve pm’d you Gerry (diviy)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617