+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you improve the stock techie bearing???

I'm Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianmac View Post
    The platter.
    Fitted a silicone type non slip rubber mat under the Technics Rubber matt. Got this from the local autoshop its sold as a non slip matt for car, caravan or kitchen use.* Open weave, get a good thick variety about 3mm.
    I made a Puck to fit over the record to help reduce record vibration. Fits onto the turntable spindle about 90mm dia and 11mm thick.
    Nice work Ian!!

[IMG][/IMG]
    You can see from this that the rubber damping material is not properly applied. I have stripped three and it is always the same. To stop your platter ringing you will need a expensive replacement platter or replace this rubber underlay.

I do not know how Teflon will perform re wear, runing with the metal ball shaft end in a silicon filled bath.

Anyone know what material Technics use for the support bearing?
    Anyone used Silicon instead of the many oil mixture out there?

Ian
    What could the benefit be in a silicon bath?

I do not know what the material is for that little black thrustpad. However teflon seems a good idea - it would be slippery. It is not at all difficult to remove the bearing. So if a silicon thrustpad lasted a couple of hundred hours that would make it worthwhile. I guess a small sheet of teflon could sit over the existing thrustpad. It would not really matter if the platter was raised a mm or two.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Ken.

Andrei - Teflon is way too soft it has been tried and wears out quickly. It is high temperature and slippery, has a friction coificient of wet ice on wet ice but soft so the high force on the spindle end soon creates a depresion in it.

EDIT:Raising the platter raises the magnet and detection hub attached to it that require reasonably precise vertical alignment with the coils etc in the motor so you have to be carefull about raising it. On my third Techie using a different platter and bearing I kept all the motor parts to within +/- 0.2mm of their original vertical locations.

Ian - I got my PEEK off the E that is Bay. supplies of various diameters in 300mm lengths, just search for it.
    Last edited by Qwin; 24-01-2015 at 10:05.

I'm Ian.

Traced this.
    Designed for bearings

http://www.theplasticshop.co.uk/peek...od-3297-0.html

Have emailed them asking for a sample

Ian

I'm Ken.

Sounds Ideal from their description.

I'm Neil.

Two photos one shows a almost front view (unit is standing on a green plastic tube)
    [IMG][/IMG]

The base [IMG]
    [/IMG]
    I can see an opportunity to offer tweaking technics bearings for folks if you feel so inclined Ian, based on your images.

Welcome to AoS.

Regards Neil

I'm Ian.

Thanks Neil

I would be pleased to help others improve their gear either by them doing it themselves if they have access to a lathe or some form of (very) easily assembled DIY kit.
    It is perhaps something we can look at if there is an interest from forum members and it falls within forum rules.
    Firstly we have to finalise the material we use for the support bearing and whether we need to fill the whole bearing with lubricant or just the support bearing bath.
    One would also want other members to evaluate its use in the real world.

As you can see from above I am waiting on a response from a PEEK plastics supplier. The material he has seems to fit the bill but I'm unclear as to whether I can get it in 1mm or max 2mm sheet . Turning 1 mm slices from round bar with a dead smooth face finish and truly parallel faces may be a challenge

I need to make a unit I can send to out to a volunteer evaluator and might soon be asking if anyone has an "old " technics bearing we could use as a donor.

I'm Neil.

Thanks Neil

I would be pleased to help others improve their gear either by them doing it themselves if they have access to a lathe or some form of (very) easily assembled DIY kit.
    It is perhaps something we can look at if there is an interest from forum members and it falls within forum rules.
    Firstly we have to finalise the material we use for the support bearing and whether we need to fill the whole bearing with lubricant or just the support bearing bath.
    One would also want other members to evaluate its use in the real world.

As you can see from above I am waiting on a response from a PEEK plastics supplier. The material he has seems to fit the bill but I'm unclear as to whether I can get it in 1mm or max 2mm sheet . Turning 1 mm slices from round bar with a dead smooth face finish and truly parallel faces may be a challenge

I need to make a unit I can send to out to a volunteer evaluator and might soon be asking if anyone has an "old " technics bearing we could use as a donor.
    Well I have a bearing, that could be upgraded. I have no lathe and certainly would be reluctant to have ago but happy to send it to you for the mod + any remuneration required.

Regards Neil

I'm Dimitris.

I m too tired to carefully read the entire thread.
    I have noticed some ideas for teflon though. After a few months of using it, I can say that while it makes a very distinct improvement on how freely the turntable turns (measured arbitrarily in seconds of free spinning without power), after a while the teflon is slowly dented by friction, increasing the area of contact and reducing its effectiveness.

I'm Ian.

Dimaska
    Many Thanks,
    I note the technics black "Plastic" end bearings I have removed show dents in the material.

I am running the teflon bearing in a silicon fluid bath so Ill see what happens after a few months use.

I have been offered a small piece of Torlon from a very kind member so i'll build a second bearing with it as the bearing material

Neil
    I'll drop you a PM

I'm David.

I have worked in engineering plastics for 20+ years and still do, peek is available in any thickness needed in sheet and rod form. I use it daily to get parts made.

I am not interested in getting involved to make a sale so if parts are required in peek I can get them made at cost for Ian or any others interested.

Torlon is not as good as peek for this application , teflon/ptfe has no wear resistance even though it has the lowest friction rating of any known substance, you can add other materials to PTFE to improve wearability and again the material is available in rod or sheet form.

I have a spare vantage bearing to donate to the project.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast