+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CD Transport

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I really like the CD-94 and it looks like someone's got a nice bargain (), but I wonder why on such a quality item Pioneer used a figure-8 mains connector (normally only found on cheap portables, etc) instead of an IEC socket?

It not only sounds worse but limits your choice of decent mains leads...

That's the first thing I'd be changing if it was mine! Good result, though, Ali if you've treated yourself

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Aye,should be a good combo with my AN dac.Might solder a captive mains lead in to avoid using any plug and socket.The best socket is no socket!

Very true! That should be a nice addition to your system, matey

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I really like the CD-94 and it looks like someone's got a nice bargain (), but I wonder why on such a quality item Pioneer used a figure-8 mains connector (normally only found on cheap portables, etc) instead of an IEC socket?

It not only sounds worse but limits your choice of decent mains leads...

That's the first thing I'd be changing if it was mine! Good result, though, Ali if you've treated yourself

Marco.
    My CD94 based Micro Seiki has a fig 8 mains lead and a few years ago still beat most players under £2K, irrespective what mains termination they used. It was only machines like the Coplands and Rega's that showed what could be done to equal or better it. Remember that CD players' mains fuses are usually rated at less than half an amp...

You just have to use the chunkiest fig 8 lead you can find and make sure it's the right way round, as this does make a small difference.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm sure that your Micro Seiki sounds excellent, Dave, but probably in spite of rather than because of its figure-8 mains socket

However, I don't wish to dwell unnecessarily on this small issue. Both players are fantastic and most manufacturers of modern CDPs could do with taking a leaf out of their book in terms of overall engineering and component quality!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes it looks a well-made player.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Now, a repeat request for laser info.......
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Paul.

I have heard the laser diodes are not available but I would suspect that you could replace the actual diode cannibalised from another machine instead of just the diode assembly. Most repair facilities are only interetsed in changing out actual assemblies rather than stripping bits of the assemblies own and rebuilding them.
    ~Paul~

A good guy to ask about this is Mark from Audiocom. Due to the nature of his business he's very much 'in the loop' as far as laser mech availability is concerned on older players

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12