+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vortexbox rip/NAS and SB Touch help/advice sought

I'm Andy.

Default Vortexbox rip/NAS and SB Touch help/advice sought

Is there anybody who is using a Vortexbox rip/NAS unit with a SB Touch with or without a Tablet that can provide some help/advice on some setting up and operating problems I am experiencing?

Is the Vortex box LMS compatible? I am only aware of the Netgear EasyNAS boxes that can run LMS for the Touch.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    Is the Vortex box LMS compatible? I am only aware of the Netgear EasyNAS boxes that can run LMS for the Touch.
    Yes it is compatible.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by sprint View Post
    Is there anybody who is using a Vortexbox rip/NAS unit with a SB Touch with or without a Tablet that can provide some help/advice on some setting up and operating problems I am experiencing?

The following are the issues/problems I am having. If anybody is able to help/advise on only of them it would be appreciated.

Firstly let me explain my system.

I am using the VB rip/NAS unit to rip my CD's. The SB Touch was/is connected to the VB wirelessly and to my Hi Fi amp via the RCA connectors.

It is my understanding that the VB can be operated either as a Player or as a Server and I believe that I am, or should, using it as server? I have not made any setting changes in the VB and everything is at the default levels following installation.

I have access to the Vortexbox WebGUI on my PC where you can monitor the ripping process and other functions and which also gives you access to the LMS WebGUI where you can access you music and play it from.

I am also using a Samsung Galaxy 2 10.1 android Tablet where I can access and operate the music files either from the LMS Web GUI or the Logitech android app.

There are several areas I am having some issues/problems with with the VB and setting the SB Touch which you or others may be able help/advise on?

1. In order to correct the metadata I am looking to use mp3tag but can't find the VB in my Network?

If I go to Network on my PC there are several devices there related to the VB and SB Touch but if I click on any of them instead of being taking to the Vortexbox or SB WebGUI's it takes me to the 'Windows Media Player' WebGUI?

So for some reason none of the devices, including the VB are being properly recognised? I simply do not understand why they go to WMP WebGUI rather than their own specific WebGUI?

As a result I can only get the VB WebGUI by putting the VB IP address: \\192.168.1## into the search bar?

Are you able to advise what the problem is and how to correct it?

2. When using either the LMS WebGUI or the Logitech app should you select Player1 or Squeezebox? I believe it should be SB but I am not sure? (This is a setting found to the top right area when on the LMS or Logitech app GUI's)

3. There are several settings on the SB Touch for setting up and selecting Player1 or Squeezebox Touch? Again should it always be SB that is selected?

4. Do I need to do a synchronize and if so should I be synchronizing the SB to the Player1 or even possibly the other way round?

5. When I connected the SB to my router with an Ethernet cable I could no longer operate it with my Tablet, it would then only operate directly from the SB Touch? I had set the SB for Ethernet.

With regards to the VB, have a look at two threads that I bookmarked:
    Squeezebox Touch Unable to Connect to Vortexbox
    And see the last reply in this one:
    Pointing Vortexbox and Squeezebox Server to Network Stora Device

I'm Twisted.

If I go to Network on my PC there are several devices there related to the VB and SB Touch but if I click on any of them instead of being taking to the Vortexbox or SB WebGUI's it takes me to the 'Windows Media Player' WebGUI?
    Your network is seeing the devices as media players - which is normal and fine, but you should also be able to browse the file structure. What OS are you using?

In Vortexbox files can be edited via \\vortexbox\files and that's where you want to navigate from for mp3tag duties. If you go via music, movies etc the files are not editable.

I can only get the VB WebGUI by putting the VB IP address: \\192.168.1## into the search bar?
    I think that's normal. Save it on the toolbar.

When using either the LMS WebGUI or the Logitech app should you select Player1 or Squeezebox? I believe it should be SB but I am not sure? (This is a setting found to the top right area when on the LMS or Logitech app GUI's)
    I suspect player1 is a phantom. I had something like this once. You'll probably find it's just replicated the touch. You don't need to synchronise as I believe this option is about having two players play the same thing at once, not about synching players to the database. If you have access to your music then it works. You can refresh the database via LMS >settings> basic settings. Vortexbox does a database refresh after you rip each disc.

If when you get MP3TAG working you'll sometimes have to instruct a complete database refresh to get the server to recognise artwork you've added.

5. When I connected the SB to my router with an Ethernet cable I could no longer operate it with my Tablet, it would then only operate directly from the SB Touch? I had set the SB for Ethernet.
    I suspect your router is assigning the player a different IP address on ethernet and so your tablet 'loses it'. I don't use the logitec app but can't you get it to refresh the IP pool so it can pick up a 'new' device on the network?

Simon
    Simon

MINI DSP SHD; Longdog 300b; Reiver Fenwicks

Twitter @siashmore

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashmore View Post
    Your network is seeing the devices as media players - which is normal and fine, but you should also be able to browse the file structure. What OS are you using?

In Vortexbox files can be edited via \\vortexbox\files and that's where you want to navigate from for mp3tag duties. If you go via music, movies etc the files are not editable.

I think that's normal. Save it on the toolbar.

I suspect player1 is a phantom. I had something like this once. You'll probably find it's just replicated the touch. You don't need to synchronise as I believe this option is about having two players play the same thing at once, not about synching players to the database. If you have access to your music then it works. You can refresh the database via LMS >settings> basic settings. Vortexbox does a database refresh after you rip each disc.

If when you get MP3TAG working you'll sometimes have to instruct a complete database refresh to get the server to recognise artwork you've added.

I suspect your router is assigning the player a different IP address on ethernet and so your tablet 'loses it'. I don't use the logitec app but can't you get it to refresh the IP pool so it can pick up a 'new' device on the network?

Simon
    Thanks for all your replies Simon.

I will have a go at following the solutions you have suggested and see how I get on, but is my understanding that you should see the VB device in your Network and then simply be able click on it to get to the files, music, flac etc?

Network is available in the mp3tag but when I open it VB iis not there and it should be, I believe.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    With regards to the VB, have a look at two threads that I bookmarked:
    Squeezebox Touch Unable to Connect to Vortexbox
    And see the last reply in this one:
    Pointing Vortexbox and Squeezebox Server to Network Stora Device
    Thanks for the links Stanley.

I will have a read through and see they help?

I'm Andy.

[QUOTE=Ashmore;394374]Your network is seeing the devices as media players - which is normal and fine, but you should also be able to browse the file structure. What OS are you using?

I am using Windows Vista 32 bit. It would seem that it is defaulting to WMP? Is there a way to check and perhaps remove/change the possible setting? It is my understanding that from my PC Network page by selecting the Vortexbox device that it should then take me to the Vortexbox files structure?

That is the problem when in mp3tag, the Vortexbox is not in my Network or found in any of the folders listed when you hit the Change Directory Button?

Am I right in believing that the VB can be used as a Player and a Server and that as you have indicated Player1 would appear to be the default name that has been given to the Player function? That being the case then I guess it should be the Squeezebox that I need to select?

As indicated I can't use mp3tag at the moment as I cant find Vortexbox or any of the files in the folders. When you refer to a database refresh do you mean the LMS scan?

Not sure how you do that but it may have been that I had Player1 set in the app rather than Squeezebox?

I'm Twisted.

Hi

Yes when I said database refresh I meant LMS scan.

For which player to select, well I'd suggest you definitely select the squeezebox yes, but you can verify what each player actually is within lms > settings > player. It tells you some info about the player selected - model, mac address, etc... you can even rename players so you can give your Touch a distinctive name.

I'm regret (or not!) that I dont use vista. All I can tell you is that within win 7 I have distinct options to access the vortexbox as a media player (as you can) or to browse the file structure. Perhaps others will know more about this aspect. It may be that a quick post on the VB forum will elicit an immediate solution, they're proper clever over there.

I'm not sure I see the logic of your suggestion about the tablet having selected player1 as, if player1 is the vb player its status would be unaffected by you changing the touch between wireless and ethernet. I think it's far more likely to be a simple IP addressing issue. Some apps continue to run in the background unless you specifically kill them. It may simply be that when you connected the touch by ethernet it was assigned a new IP and if the tablet software only scans for devices on startup it won't just pick up the new IP and hence no player.

Try killing the mobile app, then connecting the touch via ethernet and then restart the app.

Have you ever had music out of this setup? It sounds like you should be able to play music as you have the LMS running and it can see your players
    Simon

MINI DSP SHD; Longdog 300b; Reiver Fenwicks

Twitter @siashmore

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast