+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BBC Four Tonight

I'm Stephen.

Default BBC Four Tonight

The Golden Age Of The British Sports Car.10 PM.

Should be interesting.

I'm Nigel.

Did you watch it? What a car the Jaguar E Type was, can't think of a more beautiful British sports car. Must have been revolutionary when it first appeared. Still wonderful when I get the chance to see one on the road today.

I'm Shaun.

One of my fave British sportscars was the AC ME3000 which barely gets a mention. Back in the seventies it used to get my heart racing. What a gorgeous machine. Three litres of Essex V6.

I'm Stephen.

Yes, Nigel, I watched it.

I'm not actually a car person and haven't had a one for many, many years. Modern cars do nothing for me, but I do like some classics. My two favourites are the iconic Lotus 7 and the Austin A30.

I get quite depressed looking back to the '70s when we made all manner of cars. Granted, they may not have had the highest build quality at times and the styling may have been questionable, but at least we had an industry. We used to make a wide range of sports cars once. There was even one made here in the North East at Cramlington. It was the Clan Crusader which was based on the Hillman Imp. All that heritage has just gone. It's quite sad.

I was hoping the item might have covered more makes than it did. Even the classic Lotus models didn't get a mention. The bit on the E-Type was interesting. Can you imagine any of that happening now!?! I think not.

P.S.
    The Mazda MX 5 is the best selling sports car ever. Essenially it's a Lotus Elan.

I'm Stephen.

BBC 1 now Have I Got News. Chaired by Brian Blessed - mad as a bloody hatter!

Worth watching if you have i-player.

+ Reply to Thread