+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you'd like to know where my Italian roots come from...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Talking If you'd like to know where my Italian roots come from...

Have a look here, and you'll discover why I'm a Celtic FC supporting, Scottish/Italian daftee:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15127389

Barga, in Tuscany, in Italy, is where my family originate from, and where we currently have a holiday home. It's beautiful little mountain village, and definitely full of 'Tally Scottish dafties!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Sandro.

Cool !
    I've never been there, but I saw a lot of other places in Tuscany that I really loved. And food and wine in Tuscany are fantastic...

I'm Stephen.

Chris Rea, from Middlesbrough, is half Italian and half Irish.

Hi Sandro,

Cool ! I've never been there, but I saw a lot of other places in Tuscany that I really loved. And food and wine in Tuscany are fantastic...
    Indeed they are, although not just in Tuscany, but in the whole of Italy. Vicenza is also beautiful, and of course I love Venezia, which is one of my most favourite cities in the world! It must be good to be so near

We're going to be spending much more time in Italy now than we have done in the last 10 years, where before we were looking after Del's dad at home, who sadly passed away last year, and so we couldn't go away for any lengthy periods of time.

However, it now means that we have much more free time to do all the things we've been wanting to do for years, and one of them is going back to my roots and visiting Barga, so that's where we'll be going this summer, for about 3 weeks, although we'll also be touring around the area, as we'll have the car with us. One of the places we want to return to is the Cinque Terre, where we visited 10 years ago, and was utterly stunning in its beauty...

We always drive to Italy, so we can be mobile and bring lots of goodies (loads of food and wine) back with us!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Looks like a very beautiful place. And warm!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    Its as bad as going to Greek islands to find most the bars are English run
    Lol - nah, it's nothing like that, dude! Any Scottish connection ultimately stems from having strong Italian roots

They all have Italian parents and grandparents and Italian names (like me), just with daftee Scottish accents (), because they've grown up or have had businesses (cafes and chip-shops, etc) in Scotland. They all speak Italian (like me) and sound Italian when they do so.

That's a very different thing from English people buying businesses in Spanish tourist resorts, simply to cater for the tasteless and unadventurous English tourists who want nothing else but egg and chips and English beer!

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Looks like a very beautiful place. And warm!
    It is in the summer, Martin - different ball game in the winter, as you're way up in the mountains!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

That's a very different thing from English people buying businesses in Spanish tourists resorts, simply to cater for the tasteless and unadventurous English tourists who want nothing else but egg and chips and English beer!

Marco.
    +1 to that. Why bother going abroad to a different country when all your gonna do is eat English food and drink lager
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    +1 to that. Why bother going abroad to a different country when all your gonna do is eat English food and drink lager
    They don't really want to go abroad at all but they want a bit of warmth and sunshine which you can't gurantee here, even in August. So Spain fits the bill as it is cheap and only a couple of hours on the plane. They don't go for the culture, indeed if it was not set up to be 'just like home' then they wouldn't go at all.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Exactly, as I said, boring and unadventurous Brits!

Two weeks of doing nothing but sunning yourself by a pool, with other similar cretins, getting skin cancer and eating and drinking muck, inside a purpose-built concrete jungle.

Whatever you're into, I guess. I'd rather stay at home and stick pins in my eyes...

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast