+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flirting with the prince of darkness

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    The 10XV has many fans, but am I the only one to find it a bit dull and grainy? Yep, I though so I'd better get my ears looked at again
    Bloody hell Dave - I hate to think what you think of the Ortfon Rohman please don't tell me you find it bouncy and the last word in PRaT
    Steve
    Always a little further

I'm chris.

Don't be too hard on yourself Stephen....exploring new avenues & even revisiting older ones can be a minefield. At least you'll be able to explore both flavours of mc cart, when you do add an l.o.m.c. & as you have a removable h/shell Jelly arm on your techie cart swaps are gonna be a breeze. Is t' SME arm on your other deck the removable h/shell variant?

Many peeps seem to rate the Dyna 10x5 & ultimately having a nice selection of decent carts is never a bad thing IMV. Prolly well worth starting a thread re which l.o.m.c.'s work well into your T10 step up & the Croft mm stage.

If there's any suggestion it may be suitable, then I've recently been v pleasantly surprised at how good the Orto Rondo Red works with the Jelco 750d arm. I'll admit I always found it a bit ho-hum in my previous Technoarm & it's been a revelation with the Jelco...no it's not as good as my AT33EV, but comes a lot closer than I expected. In my previous Technoarm I actually preferred my budget "Cracker" the AT F3 iii.

So I'd say that the Rondo may not be a great match with Rega arms, even souped up ones. It seems to respond nicely to a little damping being dialled in, as do all t'other l.om.c.'s I'm currently using, & so far I've found this to be my preference.

The Rondo woz £288 from Willy Thacker when I checked last week & seems a real bargain at that price & IME works well with my current Icon phono stage which has built in SUT's. The loading on this is fixed at 100 ohms, as Icon do not seem to believe in adjustable loading , although I do get adjustable gain. Nonetheless my previous stage did offer adjustable loading & I found on this The 100 ohm loading option seemed to work best with the Rondo & AT oc9 ml ii.

I believe your T10 SUT does offer a choice of 2 loadings which are switchable on 2 Toggles (one for each channel) so you should at least have a fair bit of choice re suitable carts.

BR

Chris W.
    Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    Thanks Karl - very helpful.
    So now I can cast around in the New Year for a low output MC to go into the SUT? Talk about arse about face

Steve

I'm Stephen.

Thanks Chris - my SME is the fixed headshell and its a real PITA to get the cart setup right - took yonks to get the AKG right - I've got a Sonus Blue Gold as the alternate for it.
    Yes a piece on the T10/Croft sounds like a good idea.
    I've got this crazy notion of trying a Troika in the Jelco with the removable headshell it should be possible to drill the third hole. I loved my old Troika.

Steve
    Always a little further

I'm chris.

Allo again Steve,

Does the Troika actually need the third central fixing? I'm just wondering whether it would work just as happily with the two which most carts seem to manage happily with. To my mind having a nice range of lateral movement possible when setting up a cart is generally a good thing, particularly if you want to swap between your 2 decks. I'm sure I've seen Japanese H/shells that also have a central slot....ADC possibly.

Do you still have the troika?

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by vacdac View Post

Do you still have the troika?
    No I wish I did - sold it with the LP12/ittok - probably the sale I regret most
    It probably would work with just 2 bolts but I remember Ivor getting very worked up over the benefit of 3 - you know Ivor - tighten till its very tight then a bit more
    I use a Mint Tractor for the Techy so likely as not would need a tad of toe in but once set on 2 bolts I can take the headshell off and drill the third - what could possibly go wrong
    Steve
    Always a little further

I'm chris.

Lol Steve fair enough....as yo say if you mark it carefully & take care all should be fine. It's not as if it would render the h/shell unusable with standard fixing carts in the future.

Shame re the Troika...woz wondrin' whether an ESCO/Northwest Analogue or Soundsmith re-build might have been an option.

Tooodles anyway Fella...nice to chat to Yer!

chris ooooooooot.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    The Dynavector is a high output MC and will work straight into the MM input of your amp - no need for a step-up or x'mer.

However, they do sometimes sound very good into a MC input, if the phono stage has sufficient overload margin.

The 10X works fine in the Jelco.
    As per Dave, while I'm not familiar with the Dyna, my DL110 sounds better into Naim MC cards than the MM variants. When I fed it into the Croft MM stage it sounded (much) better than the Naim MC cards, but displayed some of the loss of dynamics I associated with Naim MM cards. I've just taken delivery of some BD SUTs, primarily for my Asaka, but as the have dual primaries (allowing reduced gain) I will also be trying it with DL110 to see what difference it makes.

Basically, a long winded way of saying try it, you won't damage anything (it will just sound distorted if you overload the MM stage, so keep volume low initially). What ratio step up is the T10?

Richard

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    The 10XV has many fans, but am I the only one to find it a bit dull and grainy? Yep, I though so I'd better get my ears looked at again
    Dull & grainy?
    It's my fave in the Dyna range I have tried so far - DV23RS, 17D2 & 3, XX1L ...

In my view, the 10X5 is tonally pure and nicely lit, with a full and fruity bass and a lovely lively dynamic bounce to the sound.

Ha ha - we differ yet again, Dave!

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by dowser View Post
    What ratio step up is the T10?

Richard
    1:36, switchable to 1:18 whatever that means
    Steve
    Always a little further

I'm Richard.

Try the 1:18 (means it steps the voltage up 18 times - in an impedance matched ideal world, which is rare ).

Richard

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast