+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Album of 2012

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

I can think of a couple, the big problem for me is I have gotten into streaming & have downloaded probably a few thousand albums this year & I have no idea when they were released really

So it has to be these two, which are available on CD & were indeed released in 2012

Autumn Of Communion - Autumn Of Communion

Imho, that is one of the best albums I have had the pleasure of listening to, but you know I like odd music

Pete Namlook & Lorenzo Montana - Labyrinth 5

Out of the five Labyrinth series releases this one is pretty much up there with the best of them.

RIP Peter Kuhlmann (aka Pete Namlook).
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I'm going to need to give this some thought as a quick total up shows I have bought 78 albums that were released this year, might be more?
    I was compiling a top 10, but have exceeded that already

I'll get back to you nearer the end of the year Martin, as I have more to arrive and some I have yet to play.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I'm going to need to give this some thought as a quick total up shows I have bought 78 albums that were released this year, might be more?
    I did very well - less than 60 this year - which for a recovering musicholic is pretty good!

(Love the Christmas Avatar, BTW!)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I'll get back to you nearer the end of the year Martin, as I have more to arrive and some I have yet to play.
    Look forward to it, Tim. Remember to give us your reasons why, not just a list

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    I did very well - less than 60 this year - which for a recovering musicholic is pretty good!
    Very good Alex

I'm sure you stream music

If I'm right just look for your kind of music on netlabels, take it from me, a friend said that he bet I'd find no psychobilly music for free, yet I found a netlabel with free music straight away.

You have a very good chance of finding a heck of a lot of female vocal music out there, I'd be stunned if you didn't! A lot of people are unknown, or non mainstream, to get known they can put music on netlables

You have nothing to lose & everything to gain Alex
    Bests, Mark

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Cheers Mark - I'll do some digging - though I don't believe in "free" - "A fair day's pay for a fair day's work" - I will always pay for something if I find I like it.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Cheers Mark - I'll do some digging - though I don't believe in "free" - "A fair day's pay for a fair day's work" - I will always pay for something if I find I like it.
    There is nothing stopping you donating to either the artist or the netlabel

Have a look round Bandcamp to, you should find a good bit of stuff there
    Bests, Mark

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Look forward to it, Tim. Remember to give us your reasons why, not just a list
    Well I'm at over eighty 2012 released albums purchased, forgot a few. Not sure I'll be able to tell you reasons why, other than I like them Still have a pile of unplayed discs, so I will post a top ten in January Martin.

What I can tell you now though is my album of the year;

Bill Fay - Life is People

Life is People is a beautiful, melancholic, superbly crafted album with some very compelling and moving melodies that just strike a chord with me and from an artist who has been out of the game for 41 years, I think its quite an achievement, so it gets my album of the year award.

This is an album you have to sit and listen to without distraction, late evening with a glass of wine and subdued lighting and just let it wash over you. Its often very Nick Drake ish in style, the lyrics are powerful and sad at times, but they have grace too - there are lighter more uplifting moments as well and taken as a whole it really is a masterpiece IMO.

I thought this album review on Amazon was rather apt;
    Thank you Bill Fay for giving such a fantastic album, people who hear music probably won't enjoy it, but those of us who really listen to music will enjoy this album for years to come.

A breath of fresh air in this X-Factor world, an album of the year.
    Last edited by Tim; 15-12-2012 at 11:16.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm scott.

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by daytona600 View Post
    ha! I have the grand total of 3 of them:
    Led Zeppelin
    Regina Spektor
    Garbage....

And thank god! Most on the list I'm sure are terrible!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast