+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blu-ray all hype?

I'm andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    tbh: I ordered a BR player for my mate, the reviews claimed brilliant picture Quality, to be honest my Sony standard DVD player walks all over it .
    Something wrong somewhere dude
    Andy.

I'm Nobody.

Since you do not know my DVD machine how you come to that asumpioon? besides i think it is don't mean it is! they aint no best at the end of the day!!

I'm Ben.

I've had a blu ray player for about 3 years now, at the time I bought what I thought was a v good player (panasonic BD80) based on the reviews at the time. I always thought the picture was pretty good and it was certainly better than standard TV broadcasts and standard DVDs though not what I would call "night and Day" better. I had only ever used it with my then 42 inch philips LCD tv (a cheap TV even back when I bought it approx 6 years ago).

Last week I decided it was time to buy a new bigger TV and so bought a 50 inch Samsung LED set which was on offer in costco for just under a grand. I was expecting a good increase in performance over the old TV but this thing is simply stunning. Fed with bluray its astonishing. Its almost like I am having to recalibrate my eyes the level of detail is so good! Flicking through my HD sources channels from my virgin box are great but blurays just seem to pip them though not by much. Standard def TV signals are noticably softer and have a grain about them.

So I think its as much about the quality of the TV screen as it is the Bluray player.
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm andrew.

Ben
    Is it an 8000 series? if so I have some calibrated settings for it, the out of the box settings are pretty poor.
    Agree with your comments on panel quality.
    Andy.

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by roob View Post
    Ben
    Is it an 8000 series? if so I have some calibrated settings for it, the out of the box settings are pretty poor.
    Agree with your comments on panel quality.
    Hi Andrew,

Its a UE50 ES6710 I think, would your settings be transferable? If so id be v interested in them.

I think your quite right about the "out of the box" settings mate, its far too bright straight out the box. So i've followed a few general set up guides that I found on AVforums dot co uk as well as a review I found about its smaller 40 inch brother (which also noted some general improved settings) and to me its looking much better.

cheers

Ben
    Last edited by Zoidburg; 06-01-2013 at 14:44.
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm andrew.

It's a different panel so probably not. I did find this basic setting for yours though on a review site.
    After trying and testing the various options in the internal menu, for watching films, we found the best bet was "Movie" mode. Next, set the colour temperature to "Warm 1". Anyone looking for smooth-flowing images should also set Motion Plus to "Clear". This will keep fast-action flowing smoothly with no adverse effect on the overall picture.
    For low-resolution sources (DVD, SD TV, etc.), you're better off leaving upscaling to a latest-generation console (PS3, XBOX 360, etc.). If you don't have a console, try upping the sharpness setting to artificially increase image definition.
    Andy.

I'm Ben.

[QUOTE=roob;399031]It's a different panel so probably not. I did find this basic setting for yours though on a review

Yep that's the info I used. Cheers mate.
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    tbh: I ordered a BR player for my mate, the reviews claimed brilliant picture Quality, to be honest my Sony standard DVD player walks all over it .
    Definitely doing something wrong. If the BR disc looks worse than a DVD disc then either the BR player needs throwing in the bin &\or is setup completely wrong or the display device needs throwing in the bin &\or is setup completely wrong.
    John

AV kit: JVC HD1 Projector, Sony DG820 Receiver, Monitor Audio Bronze 7.1 speakers, 2 x DIY 15" Subwoofers, Sony BDP760, HTPC.
    Stereo: HTPC - Beresford 7520, 2 x Marantz 6100 Mono Amps, MA B4 Speakers.

I'm Nobody.

Or don't you think it maybe that my standard DVD player is just better anyway

I'm Martin.

I was an early adopter of DVD as it was so much better than even good VHS. This was back when the very cheapest player was a Toshiba at £160 and discs were £17.99

However I don't think Blu-Ray, although I agree it does have better definition than DVD - is the same leap forward, not by a mile. Watched Training Day on a friend's very fancy set up with 60 inch Pioneer plasma - I did not realise it waqs a BD until he told me afterwards, although you could see the individual pores on Denzil Washington's face in the extreme close ups. Did this add to the film for me? No.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast