+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My baby's comin' home...

I'm Shane.

Looks good! It's quite a late one, so will have the alloy chassis rather than steel, but still with the original (and better) plinth design. Looks to be in reasonable condition too. I always though it looked quite cool in black with the clear lid.

I was particularly pleased with my one because it's one of the very first batch, so exactly as I designed it with none of the later mods.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Surayne.

I nearly bid on that on behalf of a friend, glad I didn't! Hope you enjoy getting re-acquainted with it. I'm really enjoying my TT2 with the Jelco arm on it, I had it on the end of a £25K+ system at a friend's place recently and he was gobsmacked

What arm are you planning to use?

I'm Rob.

Nice one Shane, you may recall I have one you probably built here, currently has an arm board for a Rega (nice match) but no arm at present......the ONLY thing that bothers me with it is the slight speed instability (belt drive), and when you compare to quartz lock DD (SL1210mk2) it's found wanting on some music, however it does have considerable other strengths!
    I feel it would benefit from a MOSE or Heed Orbit or similar such thing, quite a bit of money though......

I'm Shane.

It was you two that got me thinking that I needed a TT2 back in my life!

I'll be using my trusty old Formula IV on the new TT2. Possibly not ideal, but should be OK for the moment. I'd love to get hold of an Alphason HR100S, or better still the Heybrook arm that Luc has, but the first is going to be out of my reach (one went on Ebay a couple of weeks ago for over £500) and the other is so rare that I'll be pushing up daisies before one appears for sale anywhere. I didn't even know they existed until Luc popped up with his on here.

I've done the Rega thing on my previous TT2 and don't really want another one, and I've got a couple of DIY itches that need scratching in that direction taking inspiration from the Thales and Garrard Zero-100. The first priority though is to get some funds together to get my beloved but currently defunct Denon 304 rebuilt by Dominic, and after that my efforts will be directed to building a C3G/E88CC based phono stage so don't hold your breath.

I'm going to start looking into the whole area of power supplies for Premotec powered turntables. There's probably a market for a kit there. Hmmmm.......
    Last edited by shane; 05-12-2012 at 12:10. Reason: Afterthought.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Mike.

Congrats Shane! Looks like a good find!

Concerning the speed stability it is VERY much improved using even something as simple as a Valhalla unit to recreate a decent sinus voltage! Trust me on that part, i recently built my early TT2 back to original spec. using only a capacitor as a phase shifter for the Philips motor unit (which incidentally has got a thrust pad, looks to be original)

Of course it still makes music but the difference is quite astounding!

Still looking for a decent chassis to mount the Valhalla in, and then mount an XLR-connector or something on the back plate. Getting crazy when trying to move my later TT2 with the TPS unit, need at least three hands to carry all items as they are not easy to dismantle.

Looking forward to seeing some pics and reading some tales Shane!
    Regards //Mike

I'm Steve.

Cracking buy. Well done. smashing TT. Don't put a Rega arm on it though. The best arm i heard on a TT2 was a Mayware Formula 4. The Oragami my do the job though.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I've done enough Formula 4's to last a lifetime and if I never see another I won't mind, unless it has a Sonus Blue in it of course

I think I'd rather have some Araldite and a Hadcock instead, since this latter arm can work with a wider range of cartridges, the glue being there for sticking back everything that falls off.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12