+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grado cartridges ??????

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    All their cheapest models are by far the most fun I also remember the FCE+ being good as well - and all for under £15 at the time i think
    I think I paid the princely sum of £13.99 for my FCE+ and you may well have been the chap who sold it to me all those years ago Dave. It was a nice sounding cartridge, but after being forced to listen to three months output from Nortax Taxi's on it, I replaced it with a Glanz MFG 11T which was a little more expensive at 18 quid (IIRC) but it was an exceptional performer for the money

I don't remember where I bought the Glanz from, did you stock them at Listen Inn Dave?

I'm tommy.

grado gold , for what you can pick them up for , are very much worth invetigating imho
    getting older and now getting wiser

I'm Rob.

I actually preferred the Black over the Gold, it was far less finicky in set up, sounded less 'edgy' wobbled less and tracked better! Worked well in a RB250 and Techy SL1210mk2 standard arm. Inner groove tracking wasn't the best.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    I think I paid the princely sum of £13.99 for my FCE+ and you may well have been the chap who sold it to me all those years ago Dave. It was a nice sounding cartridge, but after being forced to listen to three months output from Nortax Taxi's on it, I replaced it with a Glanz MFG 11T which was a little more expensive at 18 quid (IIRC) but it was an exceptional performer for the money

I don't remember where I bought the Glanz from, did you stock them at Listen Inn Dave?
    My times at Listen Inn were 1998 - 2004, with a two year spell on the road in those times which I try hard to forget for various reasons. When Glanz were around (their cheapest £15 model was another fun-nail ), I was at KJ W1 in their first incarnation.....

Some of these cartridges only sold once they had good reviews, and of you didn't meet the agenda of the reviewers at the time, you'd had it I think.

I have to say that my thirty five year old Grado F1+ (which wasn't liked by Colloms et al in the relevant 'Choice book) is as stable as anything and sounds fine to me. The current models are definitely different and in the US, they've been tweaked into +1 versions, with shorter cantilevers and lower inductance bodies I think...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

synsei Guest

Ah, I thought you worked there earlier than that My experience with Listen Inn was from the early eighties so you are well off the hook I liked the FCE+ a lot but the breakthrough from the taxi firms radio antenna next door was just too much to bear. Sometimes it could be hilarious, for example I might hear a call for a taxi to Armitage Crescent as the Martian Deathray scythed its way across Horsham Common during Jeff Wayne's WotW's, but mostly it was just annoying.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

UUUUUULLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

or summat like that
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12