+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grado cartridges ??????

I'm Steve.

Default Grado cartridges ??????

What's the view of the cognisenti with regards to Grado cartridges? I fancy one for my SL1500.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I told you already

Smooth, gentle in the treble on all but the Black, which is livelier, inclined to wobble on ripply records if arm mass is a bit too high. If you do get one for the 1500, get the lightweight but rigid modern techie shell and some decent wires for it.

Why not try a Rega Carbon, or at least the related AT91 instead for twenty to twenty five notes. You may just have a pleasant surprise as I did. Track at 1.75g and play around with bias. I'm still using mine with little inclination to change it for the other vintage cartridges I have in abundance
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Jack.

I have a VPI, and they hum on every VPI I've heard them on, so they are a non-starter for me.

Oh, wait, I do have a mono M+ that I use from time to time on my Technics. Eh.

Enough people rave about the Gold, however, that someone in that price range should at least investigate that model

VPI / JMW arm, with Dynavector 20 (also Technics 1200mkII), Luxman 505u integrated, Marantz 8004 SACD/CD, TAD/Pioneer S-2EX speakers, GIK room treatments

I'm Steve.

Yes sir, indeed you did. I had forgotten. A lot of single malt has been consumed since then. I will as a result of your learned advice stear well clear.

I'm Simon.

Prone to humming over metal platters, a tricky one to balance with arm mass and they love to skip out of torture tracks. Not a place I would visit again.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The Grado FTE+1 was an absolute 'belter' for the money. Suggest it joins Marco's list of underrated cartridges.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The Grado FTE+1 was an absolute 'belter' for the money. Suggest it joins Marco's list of underrated cartridges.
    I'll second that. Good cartridge!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

All their cheapest models are by far the most fun I also remember the FCE+ being good as well - and all for under £15 at the time i think

This whole hum thing is important I feel. Rega cartridges (Bias series, Elys and Exact) are deliberately under-shielded since Roy argued most strongly that fully shielding the generator reduced output and adversely affected sonics. I'm not an engineer and can't argue this case for or against, but many Rega turntables fitted with their own made cartridges had hum issues, the hum field from nearby transformers adding alarmingly to the existing field from the then mains powered motors. Grado's may well be like this too, although the F1+ works fine, quietly and tidily in my Lab 80 mk2 with no stability issues

Malt whisky? What a great idea Steve - hic.................
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Paul.

My old rega P3 with rega elys hummed like a very excited bumble bee
    Paul.

MartinT Guest

Energetic, exciting and a little coarse. Not the best trackers around, but decent. Watch that hum if the deck has a mains driven motor. That's for a Prestige Gold, the lesser models are probably a step down.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast