+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whest PS.20

I'm andrew.

Thanks for the replies.
    The ps.20 is permanently powered-up, and i'm spinnin as many tunes as poss to get a signal through it. I don't want to judge it too quickly though, so i'll just keep spinnin and listening for another few weeks at least. It's weird how some components sound right straight away, and some come on song later.
    Same with cable i suppose.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Paul,

I have been thinking this before relating to Martin's System but surely having to bypass the MC part of a very expensive stage and spending about another £1K on an SUT to maximise SQ does call into question that units value for money.
    Well, for me, it's not a bad reflection on the Whest, as I've yet to hear ANY solid-state MC phono stage FULLY optimise the sonic capabilities of an MC cartridge. The MM stage/SUT route always wins, *providing* that the SUT used is of the highest quality and ideally matches the partnering cartridge, sonically and electrically. Therefore, one simply employs the use of a high-quality MM stage (in Martin's case the PS.30) and a top-notch SUT, which matches one's MC cartridge of choice (in his case a Shelter 5000, with the Choir Audio/Hashimotos) - and it's 'job done'!

Also you are forgoing the main selling point of high SQ with accurate MC loading.
    Nope, as you'll see I've explained above.

Some things are just better, and to my ears, the whole principle of how the tiny (and delicate) signal from a low-output MC cartridge is amplified by a quality SUT, makes much more sense, as it eliminates a whole load of components sitting in the signal path of an active MC gain stage, and the associated noise that they generate.

What you have to be careful of with an SUT, apart from the obvious matching issues mentioned above, is that the interconnect cables between it and the partnering MM phono stage, are of the highest quality and kept as short as possible, otherwise you negate most of the sonic advantages of the SUT. That done, trust me, you'll be hard pushed to find an active MC stage that will outperform the best SUTs, used through a quality MM phono stage (SS or valve), although finding high-quality standalone solid-state MM only phono stages, can be problematic.

This is unfortunately the case with Martin's Whest, as you're paying for a largely redundant built-in MC stage, which is why I would advocate going the valve MM stage/SUT route, as there are some cracking standalone valve MM phono stages around that don't cost the earth (think Croft and Icon Audio here, for starters), and IMO, based on considerable experience, if you really want to hear what a top MC cartridge can do, then valves (done well), in conjuction with a quality SUT, is without doubt the way to go!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dave.

Marco a quick question if I may --- when you found superior results with the SUT versus the MC stage of the Whest, which cartridge were you using, was it an SPU? And was it one of the low impedance 2 ohm ones?

The only reason I ask is that if the Whest is like mine, the standard range of loading impedances starts at 100 ohms and rises from there. However the 2 ohm SPU's call for 50 ohms max. Whest custom fitted a 50 ohm resistor into mine at the 5 position for the SPU, but this morning I found that even that is probably a little high. After a friend had pointed out that I seemed to have a slightly rising treble response I measured it using a frequency sweep record and noted it did seem to rise by about 3 or 4 db at the top.

As a result I additionally switched in the 100 ohm resistor to create a 33.3 ohm load for the cartridge, this has smoothed out the response somewhat and has further improved the sound overall.

So it seems to me that the SPU does need quite a low resistance, load-wise, to stop high frequency electrical resonances, values which are unavailable in the standard Whest range of settings. It may well be that an SUT also goes some way towards nullifying these too.

Ahhh... all interesting stuff!

Currently Listening On:

Turntable: Garrard 301 (solid chassis rebuild), SMD reference plinth
    Arm: Audio Origami PU7 (12")
    Cartridge: Van den Hul Black Beauty
    Phono: Whest PS30RDT
    Preamp: Scratch built AMB a24/LCDuino/d1/d2, fully balanced
    Power amp: Transcendent 15W "Son Of Beast" OTL with upgraded Takman/Mills/ClarityCap MR/Jensen components in signal path
    Loudspeakers: Steve Cresswell's old Metronomes

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Dave,

It was when I was down at Martin's place and had taken my T/T down to hear in his system, so at that time we heard the results both with my (then) SPU GM E, and his Shelter 5000, which is a fantastic sounding cartridge.

Going the MM stage/SUT route was a total no-brainer, sonically, with both his cartridge and mine, using their respective SUTs with the Whest's MM stage - so much so that it made the dedicated MC stage in his Whest sound broken in comparison!

Incidentally, that's a reflection not on how bad the MC stage is in the Whest, but rather just how sensational the sound is of the MM stage, used in conjuction with an appropriate SUT.......................

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm andrew.

Sounding MUCH better...

At this rate i might keep it!

Still needs more time though...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12