+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!! - MONO Cartridge recommendations please

I'm Andrew.

Default HELP!! - MONO Cartridge recommendations please

GUYS!

Now I have the delights of a removable head shell on the 3012 I fancy a mono only cartridge. I'd love a vintage classic if possible, I'm quite open to recommendations for newer kit but it will be going on an all valve system which will be designed to get the best out of old mono pressings

Thanks

Andrew
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Trey.

I don't have a removable headshell so have never bought one of these, but I can say that the Miyajima BE Mono cartridge is bitchin'. I don't know how well it would work with your tonearm, but I really think it's a cartridge worth your investigation. It really does sound great.
    Trey.

I'm Stephen.

I'm Dave.

There are sveral expensive true mono cartridges but very few inexpensive.

The Lyra cartridges can be supplied in mono configuration and Ortofon have just released a Cadenza Mono.

At the affordable end of the scale, Rega have the RB78 and Ortofon do a 2M Mono.

I'm scott.

Emt have a good mono range

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Why don't you use a stereo cartridge wired as 'mono'?

If you insist on using a true monophonic cartridge, there is always the Denon 102.
    Barry

I'm Carl.

I've enjoyed the AT33mono for a few years. Reasonably priced and high quality.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

One of the Vari-Luctance types (GEC and Tannoy?) are PERFECT for old mono records and, compared to the over-filtered and noise-gated attempts of one chap who digitises old shellac and vinyl records, transfers done with one of the above cartridges seems to avoid the need to filter all the noise etc. out. Some later 78's transfered simply with these cartridges come to life with minimal background hiss like you really wouldn't believe and I'm also reliably informed that LP's from the 50's sound effortless too.

I'll pass on links to this thread to the chaps concerned and see if they can expand further
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Clark.

GE ( General Electric) RPX is not only affordable but very good too. The Denon DL102 is also a good buy but is quite heavy so you will need an arm that has a substantial balance weight. I use both along with an EMT TMD25 for mono.

I've found stereo cartridges wired for mono are always a little lacking compared to a true mono cart.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    One of the Vari-Luctance types (GEC and Tannoy?) are PERFECT for old mono records and, compared to the over-filtered and noise-gated attempts of one chap who digitises old shellac and vinyl records...
    Just say who it is you're referring to, daftee: JC Brum - Ashley's infamous (and deaf) 'botty-bashing chum'!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast