+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JRiver optimum setup.

I'm Martin.

Does anyone use JRiver with a NAS? - looking for any positive/negatives of doing so.

Cheers,
    Martin

Source: Sonos CONNECT DAC: Rega DAC Amp: Rega Brio-R Speakers: Neat Motive 2.

My system photos

I'm Mike.

Humm, i do. Not sure what you are looking for though?

I store all of my music files on the NAS. Sometimes i use JRiver as a player on my Xonar Essence STX-equipped PC. Other times i use JRivers UPnP server software to deliver files to my UPnP renderer (Bladelius Embla).

And i remote control the whole thing using MyRiver on my iThingy's

//Mike

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I use a Drobo connected to the router, then Ethernet to the TFS.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTV View Post
    Humm, i do. Not sure what you are looking for though?...

//Mike
    Hi Mike,

At the moment, I'm storing my flacs on my music player PCs HDD. It's a windows 8 machine and I have the on-board 750GB HDD split to have the OS on one partition and the music on the other.

I had the idea to buy a small-ish SSD and put the OS on that, to speed up start up, responsiveness etc. The music files would then go onto a conventional HDD somewhere.

My PC doesn't have space inside for a second drive, so I was thinking that I could do this by attaching a USB HDD or NAS drive.

I'm worried that moving the music to either Ethernet or USB might change the sound, add noise, more complication etc so was wondering what others had experienced.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.
    Martin

My system photos

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    I use a Drobo connected to the router, then Ethernet to the TFS.
    That looks nice, but a bit pricy for me
    Martin

My system photos

I'm inthescottishmafia.

They come up all the time secondhand on eBay. Good thing with these is they automatically back themselves up between the hard drives, so if you lose a drive you haven't lost any music.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Martinh View Post
    Hi Mike,
    ...snip....
    I'm worried that moving the music to either Ethernet or USB might change the sound, add noise, more complication etc so was wondering what others had experienced.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.
    Ahh, now i understand!

i think it is a wise move either way, you actually move one of the biggest sources of interference out of the computer. True, you will have traffic on network interfaces rather than SATA/IDE channels.

To my ears, the resulting audio is better, but i haven't made serious comparisons...
    It ill leve your computer more quiet, cool and generally more well behaved!

Regards /Mike

Edit: USB for tranferring files is fine by me, more than adequate performance and always bit perfect transfers. The same goes for network transfers.
    It is when you start using USB for transporting audio streams it tend to misbehave, bad timing(=jitter) and only rudimentary error detection, leaving the guesswork to the receiving end...
    Last edited by AlfaGTV; 25-11-2012 at 22:18.

I'm fuckoff.

Why are people using Wasapi event style instead of standard Wasapi?

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by realysm42 View Post
    Why are people using Wasapi event style instead of standard Wasapi?
    Good question. I use J River Media Center on my home-built silent mini-PC, feeding audio via USB to a HiFace Evo, and thence to either DAC or digital amplifier. As I understand the hierarchy of streaming stuff, WASAPI Event Style should be pretty much the best (probably on par with ASIO when the hardware supports it); however I am finding consistently that I get a more natural, musical and rewarding sound when I use plain WASAPI, with all other settings the same.

I'm fuckoff.

Interesting, thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast