+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Room treatment

I'm Bob.

It is always going to be a compromise Martin, it is a living space with kitchen/dining attached after all, not a dedicated listening room. With the odd room shape, you would do well to consider how you can create a pseudo-symmetrical listening environment before dwelling on room-modes IMHO.

The points Stephen made are valid both on the limited number of panels you envisage and the issue of harmonics.
    In these cases predominant attention is on the fundamental resonance (mode/bass trapping) before looking at the harmonics which broadband panels can and do moderate.
    Remember that modes and harmonics are amplification of the room, notably in room corners and in your/my case behind the seating.
    I stuck up broadband panels in all four corners, and behind and above the settee, which created a balanced environment.
    Do the modes still exist? Yes but at low level. Are they intrusive? Not until I really crank it up.

I'm fuckoff.

Thanks gents, really helpful information.

Stephen, where are you getting your 31hz bass trap from please?

Also, how does one go about measuring ones room please? I'm going to return the bass traps and take your advice on egtting a bespoke one.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by realysm42 View Post
    Thanks gents, really helpful information.

Stephen, where are you getting your 31hz bass trap from please?

Also, how does one go about measuring ones room please? I'm going to return the bass traps and take your advice on egtting a bespoke one.
    ''I have one left to do in my room - but that will take a back wall nearly 6' thick in rockwool, or a dedicated 31Hz trap (which is now available - oddly) and would just fit in with what space I have left.
    I have yet to go there as it is, in all honesty, a small issue to me.
    (GIK Acoustics Scopus tuned trap is what I'm considering)''

Please google Ethan Winer Music Player Forums and have a look at his acoustics forum. In the FAQ there you will find more stuff than you can possibly imagine. Measuring a room can be from reasonably easy to mega expensive (ring any hifi bells) but be aware that moving the measuring mike just 1" can give wildly differering results to someone who has no idea what he is looking at :-

Whether you go down the road of buying a cheap mike and using the listed software or getting someone in to measure your room is a decision to be made, or do you just keep going as you are now..
    Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123