+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi

I'm paul.

Default Hi

Hi,

Looking at getting my 18 year old Hi fi back up and running again after a long time in storage- and of course looking at upgrading bits along the way.
    Music wise- pretty eclectic mix like most people on here i'd imagine.
    When it comes to listening at home though, and just want to chill, then some Jazz/ soul/ funk, everything from Miles davis through King curtis, aretha franklin, Sam cooke, the Meters etc- always on Vinyl and ideally live recordings.

Led zep/ jimi H, through stone temple pilots/ smashing pumpkin, sound Garden, GNR, nirvana- were also top of the list when i last had my system running. Kinda lost track (excuse the pun) a little bit in the recent years of compillation frenzies, hype and brain wash commercial radio- so getting the stereo back on the agenda should open up my eyes a little to invest in some music again.

Stereo-
    Audiolab 8000s
    Marantz Ki sig 63
    Rega Planar 3 ortofon 520mk2
    Project phono box
    TDL Rtl 3 with uprated cross overs...but blown drivers/ tweeters courtesy of an over enthusiatic cousin and a crappy AV amp driving all Channels into the RTl's

Also have a perfunctury Av set up around it for the odd movie- Ruark Dialogue/ Yamaha E492amp.Couldn't careless about sound integrity of that- as long as audio is comming from roughly the right places & there is stereo effect of sorts.
    Second hand Sony VPl vw100 projector is awesome though. ~100 inch with saturation and immersion that you just don;t get out of any TV i've seen. all for £200 with several hundred hours left on the bulb- i'm outta luck when that goes.

I'm rarely sold on latest is greatest-so looking for ideas/ advice on bargain Second hand equipment that compliments the other kit, to juice things up a bit. Speakers top of the list for obvious reasons..then the Vinyl bits n bobs, maybe even some upgraded kettle leads to impress/ infuriate the GF. The water may take the same time to boil, but i'm positive the tea really does taste better.

Cheers
    Paul

I'm Rob.

Hi Paul. The Audiolab amp amd Marantz cdp were pretty much the standard fare 20 years ago. I had an 8000A and a Philips 610MkII. Shame about the TDLs, are there no spares available or alternatives to fix them with? although you may be wanting a change.

Rob.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

+ Reply to Thread