+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Musicians you admire

I'm ILOB.

Simon
    Rory was such a geniune person totally committed to sharing his love of music

Andy
    Its Kentish Town and the sameplace I saw Marcus play too one of the best bass playersI seenthe guy who really blew myaway bass wise is Brian Bromberg who I saw with Lee Ritenour at the Jazz cafe in Camden
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Andy.

John

Been to the Jass Cafe a few times too, one of those places when the Ex and I visited London we would drop by and go and see who was playing that night.

The one that really sticks out was seeing Rachelle Ferrell. What a voice and range she has, bloody fantastic it was. As you know the JC is an intimate place and the feeling and emotion was just brilliant. Should really go there more often. Will have to start agin when life calms down a touch.

Andy - SDDW

P.S. Would add Rachelle Ferrell to my list of admired musicians.
    Last edited by Sand Dancin Donkey Walker; 17-04-2009 at 21:23. Reason: P.S. added
    HV Electrical Engineer - SAF (Sustainable Aviation Fuel) Plant

I'm Simon.

John,

I see you're a Django appreciationist (?!).

I recently acquired 2 boxed sets on the English JSP label - a grand total of 9 cds in all! - 'Classic Early Recordings' and vol.2 Paris and London.

A veritable sonic time machine containing countless breathtaking moments of magical musical mayhem and mastery. (just ran out of 'm's)

So hats off to Django Reinhardt-Stephan Grapelli - Quintet of Hot Club du France.

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    No question for me - the man who kick-started my passion for sound, ladies and gentlemen, with his Band, The One and Only Roorrrry Gallagh-er! ( Rory Gallagher )

An absolute guitar great, wickedest live performer of all time - and marvellous to have round for a cup of tea!
    I saw him a few times & always came away staggered by the performance. A great performer with a genuine love for the blues & its practitioners. He was perhaps the hardest gigging musician ever........he just never seemed to be resting from touring!

I loved his style when it came to guitars as well. He loved cheap instuments and he & his brother were always picking them up in pawn shops - the argument being that the old blues guys couldn't afford the best guitars & they made some pretty respectable sounds on them, so why not?

Even his famous battered Fender Strat was a bargain priced gem. Though new, it was sold as 2nd hand, despite being the first Strat in Ireland. The musician who'd ordered it wanted a candy apple red one, but Fender sent the music shop a sunburst & he didn't want it, so they sold it to Rory at the price of a used instrument. Meantime, the intended owner waited for his red one while Rory tore it up!

The reason so much of the paintwork was missing was that it was stolen & spent a few weeks in a ditch before Rory got it back.

I have a theory that scruffiness and length of guitar strap have a direct relationship to the ability of the musician to have intuitive 'feel' for guitar playing:

Exhibit A - Rory Gallagher: Apparel -Jeans/lumberjack shirt. Result: Can't read music, never had a lesson but made some of the most compelling British blues records
    Exhibit B - Neil Young: Apparel -Jeans/lumberjack shirt. Result: At best always on the edge of feedback. A gloriously messy but poetic racket.
    Exhibit C - Johnny Ramone: Guitar position - near the knees. Result: Another glorious racket.
    Exhibit D - Eric Clapton: Apparel - Armani suits. Result: None of the above.

It's enough to know that Jimi Hendrix apparently said, "How does it feel to be the greatest living guitarist in the world? I don't know, go ask Rory Gallagher".

I'm ChrisB.

To illustrate my point above, just watch this youtube clip of Bob Dylan's 30th Anniversary concert. It's 'My Back Pages'. On the stage are Neil Young, Clapton, Roger McGuinn, George Harrison, Tom Petty, Dylan, and others, not to mention Steve Cropper & Donald 'Duck' Dunn.

Clapton & Young each take a solo. Listen to the solos..........look at their clothes........see the embodiment of their playing styles!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKBSIyK_GSE

Usually I find these 'let's all get together onstage' moments leave me cold, but this is one exception.

To give Clapton his due he also turns in a great blues inspired version of 'Don't Think Twice, It's Alright', but the playing only really gets going when the amp is properly overdriven!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCJ15...eature=related

I'm ILOB.

Quote Originally Posted by Sand Dancin Donkey Walker View Post
    P.S. Would add Rachelle Ferrell to my list of admired musicians.
    I must check her out Thanks for the tip
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

I'm ILOB.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    John,

I see you're a Django appreciationist (?!).

I recently acquired 2 boxed sets on the English JSP label - a grand total of 9 cds in all! - 'Classic Early Recordings' and vol.2 Paris and London.

A veritable sonic time machine containing countless breathtaking moments of magical musical mayhem and mastery. (just ran out of 'm's)

So hats off to Django Reinhardt-Stephan Grapelli - Quintet of Hot Club du France.
    Yes Django was a true genius Grapelli might of been the one with the techinical powers but its always Django who gives me goose bumps with his playing

I'm ILOB.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    I saw him a few times & always came away staggered by the performance. A great performer with a genuine love for the blues & its practitioners. He was perhaps the hardest gigging musician ever........he just never seemed to be resting from touring!

I loved his style when it came to guitars as well. He loved cheap instuments and he & his brother were always picking them up in pawn shops - the argument being that the old blues guys couldn't afford the best guitars & they made some pretty respectable sounds on them, so why not?

Even his famous battered Fender Strat was a bargain priced gem. Though new, it was sold as 2nd hand, despite being the first Strat in Ireland. The musician who'd ordered it wanted a candy apple red one, but Fender sent the music shop a sunburst & he didn't want it, so they sold it to Rory at the price of a used instrument. Meantime, the intended owner waited for his red one while Rory tore it up!

The reason so much of the paintwork was missing was that it was stolen & spent a few weeks in a ditch before Rory got it back.

I have a theory that scruffiness and length of guitar strap have a direct relationship to the ability of the musician to have intuitive 'feel' for guitar playing:

Exhibit A - Rory Gallagher: Apparel -Jeans/lumberjack shirt. Result: Can't read music, never had a lesson but made some of the most compelling British blues records
    Exhibit B - Neil Young: Apparel -Jeans/lumberjack shirt. Result: At best always on the edge of feedback. A gloriously messy but poetic racket.
    Exhibit C - Johnny Ramone: Guitar position - near the knees. Result: Another glorious racket.
    Exhibit D - Eric Clapton: Apparel - Armani suits. Result: None of the above.

It's enough to know that Jimi Hendrix apparently said, "How does it feel to be the greatest living guitarist in the world? I don't know, go ask Rory Gallagher".

Ahh I always wondered way I still have that long haired scruffy look; now if I only I was an intuitive guitar player
    Great Hendrix quote
    Rory was just in love with music and the blues

But the most intuitive player ever and closest to genius has to be Django
    There is a great story about Django and Segovia at a party
    "And then there was the time he met Andrés Segovia. He played for the Spanish classical maestro a short jazz crepuscule on his Selmer guitar. When Django finished, Segovia was dazzled by the piece and asked for a transcription. Django laughed and shrugged, saying that it was an improvisation"

I'm Simon.

Default Rory and Django

But the most intuitive player ever and closest to genius has to be Django
    There is a great story about Django and Segovia at a party
    "And then there was the time he met Andrés Segovia. He played for the Spanish classical maestro a short jazz crepuscule on his Selmer guitar. When Django finished, Segovia was dazzled by the piece and asked for a transcription. Django laughed and shrugged, saying that it was an improvisation"[/QUOTE]

Attitude - it's all in the attitude. Play it the way it is, never put anyone down unnecessarily.

There are endless stories - and interviews - documenting Rory's musical munificence.

I'm sure there's loads about Django too.

Rory always disliked being associated with Eric Clapton - as he said, his music came from a far broader blues base than Clapton's, not meant as a snide remark just stating the obvious.

Even without the hair and the battered Strat (which I got to see right up close at the travelling Fender Museum exhibition a few years back and it IS battered, believe me ) Django had it all, it flowed out of him, technique, attitude in abundance.

God bless the pair of them.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    A bit of a lazy get-out here, but I admire all the wonderful musicians who've enriched my life with their recordings.... I tried to make a list but like my posts, it went on and on and on and on..........
    No 'get-out' at all. The title of the thread is 'Musicians you admire'. In my case, and it would appear yours, a succinct, if not especially erudite response, would be: 'Far too many to list' !

Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12