+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Starting Streaming

I'm Simon.

In the post Xmas haze, I've only just noticed that the fourth version of CAPS (Computer Audiophile Pocket Server) v3 has appeared on the Computer Audiophile website.

For this version, the Intel Atom line of processors has been passed over in favour of a Core series processor. And, no messing, an i7 part has been chosen! In the write-up the i7-3770S has been chosen (as the lower TDP i7-3770T had low availability at the time of construction).

I must admit I'm surprised at his choice; surely an i3 T part would be more than enough for any audio function?

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Yes, I agree, but I think he has used an i7 for those users that still wish a high powered machine, as some people just do It also gives them the option for HD Video too, so not just audio. Not something I would do though and an i3 can do HD video, but there are still those that think the more power, the better the sound.

He keeps pinching my ideas too I have had my eye on that Streacom case for some while and I see he has gone for the Intel DN2800MT MB, for all the other 3 CAPS in the line-up. I bought one in August as the best solution for a small low power server

Good to see than there is an element of agreement though. Mind you Item Audio don't agree on using an Atom CPU anymore and they do have a point, now that you can buy low TDP Celeron CPU's like the G400 series.

I think if I was buying a board now, I would go for a 35W TDP G series Celeron and a high quality Intel mITX board. I may yet still do so, as I'm just finalising what I hope to be my last server build for sometime.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm John.

I’ve got an i5 running in my server atm. I believe this was something I advocated a couple of years ago.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice to see you popping in again, John. Hope you had a great Christmas and new year!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Indeed, all the best from me too John.

"People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Gary.

A low end Sandybridge would have had plenty of grunt for HD video, but the choice is sound.
    Nice case too

I'm John.

Cheers Marco and Tim.

Christmas etc was good thank you, if a bit different. Here in Catalonia it all happens on the 6th of Jan; three kings day.

We had a more British Christmas Eve here and did the presents and eating bit then. My Brother-In-Law and Sister went off to Canada to see their son shortly after Christmas leaving me in charge of the circus (assorted animals of two and four legged variety); not to mention a paying guest who had rented the granny flat for a few days. Anyway, nobody died so it’s all good. I haven’t really had much opportunity to post here; kinda busy finding my feet and trying to remember not to drive the Land Rover on the left etc etc.

Hi Fi certainly sounds different in a a room with solid walls, clay tiled ceiling and floor and interestingly, a sloping ceiling with tree trunks as beams below the tile level which does wonders for the acoustics.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789