+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: E88CC recommendations?

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    Well you could go for a NOS Mullard E88CC-01 but that will cost you around £70.

I can only go by what my ears tell me - for £23 the JJ is a very good valve indeed.
    I use a pair of these in my Copland CSA-14, loverly an smooove
    Steve.

Kit I have:
    CD player, TTs, Phono stages, Pre amps, Power amps, Integrated amps, DACs, Streamers, Speakers and a bunch of cables.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Thanks Neil,

Re. p&p, bear in mind that I live in Italy tho' it shouldn't make a huge difference.

Could you hold on for a few days? It would be wise to check to be sure there are no incompatibilities with the Audion. I'll pm you after the weekend if that's OK.
    I think I'll probably take the opportunity here to try both a pair of russian valves and a couple suggested by Phil if economics allow - presumably there is more than hype to NOS glassware...
    No problem they're not going anywhere.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Batty View Post
    I use a pair of these in my Copland CSA-14, loverly an smooove
    A second ringing endorsement bodes well then.

There's such a lot of disinformation out there regarding tubes, it can turn the head of the unwary. For the record, I consulted Joe's Tube Lore
    which is where the slur re. JJ's not matching up to Tesla standards originated. The tube jungle can be a daunting place for the inexperienced I have to say.

So... we have on our list of options an ECC88/62JD/6N1p (and -EV) morphing into E88CC/CV2492/6922, E188CC/7308, ECC88CCa, not to mention the 6N23p (and -EV)

I realise you have to occasionally kiss a few frogs before finding your ideal partner but swimming with the toads can be a time-consuming business. I suppose the moral of the story is not to succumb to the irresistable itch to grab at the nobbly allsorts being routinely proffered on eBay and to, well, listen to unbiased advice.

Thanks chaps.

I'm Simon.

62JD
    What I meant of course was 6DJ8.

I'm Steve.

I don't know about the valve you want but I'm using JJ ecc82's in my pre. I swapped them for some old yellow label Mullards but swapped them back as the Mullards were noisier.

They're a good quality valve.

Steve
    Thorens TD550, Ortofon 12", Ortofon Jubilee or Koetsu Black; Rothwell MCL SUT, VTL 2.5 pre, XTC POW 1 power; Naim CD5x; KEF Reference 3.2's; Van den Hul interconnects and speaker cables.

I'm Karl.

Any chance that we could examine the schematic of the Audion Sterling?
    This might help narrowing down selections.
    Most of the time I use russian 6N1P instead of 6DJ8 and E88CC.
    Avirtual trip to the Tube Amp Doctor.de might solve your problems...

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by OneyedK View Post
    Any chance that we could examine the schematic of the Audion Sterling?
    This might help narrowing down selections.
    Most of the time I use russian 6N1P instead of 6DJ8 and E88CC.
    Avirtual trip to the Tube Amp Doctor.de might solve your problems...
    Short answer to that Karl is no, unfortunately I have no plans to open up the Sterling. But, bearing in mind that 6N1P's can be had so cheaply, I may well have a go - presumably no damage to the amp will occur due to the slight variation in plate voltage? Would you happen to know the answer to that? How do you find the sound of them?
    God is dead, Marx is dead - and I'm not feeling that great Myself...

I'm Karl.

presumably no damage to the amp will occur due to the slight variation in plate voltage? Would you happen to know the answer to that? How do you find the sound of them?
    The higher allowed plate voltage is a big plus, if the circuit is less than ideal, you won't damage the tube or anything else.
    I've compared them to RCA 6DJ8 cleartop en Telefunken and Siemens NOS E88CC, not much difference to my ears (at least not in the used circuit, grounded cathode followed by split load phase splitter driving a couple of EL84's).
    The 6DJ8 sounded sweetest, Siemens a little "harder", Telefunken was very neutral and musical. I'd say the 6N1P-EV I used sounded like the Telefunkens.
    When driven harder, the 6N1P-EV seems to distort less.

But it all boils down to the circuit they are used in.
    Oh, and one tip, if you buy from our russian friend, take 10 tubes or so, very often, 8 tubes are perfect, 2 are out of spec.
    If you want tubes "on spec", the tube amp doctor is the place to be...
    Technics SL-1200 Mk2 recapped / MN bearing / Funk Firm Platter / Denon 103R / Lundahl LL1933
    Thorens TD 126 MkIII / SME Series III / Ortofon SME 30H // AT-OC9ML/II / Lundahl LL1681
    Thorens TD 160 / TP16 / Stanton 681SE

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by OneyedK View Post
    The higher allowed plate voltage is a big plus, if the circuit is less than ideal, you won't damage the tube or anything else.
    I've compared them to RCA 6DJ8 cleartop en Telefunken and Siemens NOS E88CC, not much difference to my ears (at least not in the used circuit, grounded cathode followed by split load phase splitter driving a couple of EL84's).
    The 6DJ8 sounded sweetest, Siemens a little "harder", Telefunken was very neutral and musical. I'd say the 6N1P-EV I used sounded like the Telefunkens.
    When driven harder, the 6N1P-EV seems to distort less.

But it all boils down to the circuit they are used in.
    Oh, and one tip, if you buy from our russian friend, take 10 tubes or so, very often, 8 tubes are perfect, 2 are out of spec.
    If you want tubes "on spec", the tube amp doctor is the place to be...
    Well in the past I've had some success with Russian valves - courtesy of info via the Lampizator website - including x2 6N6P's as drivers in a 300B integrated as well as using one as a replacement for a 6H30 in a tube buffered player where the relative laidbackness of the variant works wonderfully well in tandem with a frisky Bantam Gold amp. Also, I have tried a pair of 6N23P's in the Sterling which were a huge improvement over the JAN Philips 6922 it came with but which broke up over a relatively short time, matter of months.
    I've never tried the 6N23P-EV but I probably will.
    Anyway, interesting about the 6N1P-EV, I think I'll give those a shot as well. Thoroughly agree about the need to exercise particular caution when eBaying these Russian tubes which I suppose is the trade-off for their affordability. So off to the tube amp doctor for a wee butcher's...
    God is dead, Marx is dead - and I'm not feeling that great Myself...

I'm Karl.

I've never tried the 6N23P-EV but I probably will.
    Have a look here:
    6n23p
    It seems the measured 6N23P is not an exact substitute for ECC88.

In circuits designed with GlassWare TubeCAD for the ECC88, an actual 6N1P measures the same...
    Technics SL-1200 Mk2 recapped / MN bearing / Funk Firm Platter / Denon 103R / Lundahl LL1933
    Thorens TD 126 MkIII / SME Series III / Ortofon SME 30H // AT-OC9ML/II / Lundahl LL1681
    Thorens TD 160 / TP16 / Stanton 681SE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast