+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone finished burning in their TC-7520 yet?

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Sensimilia View Post
    Then there is the EU plan to ban linear power supplies very soon.

Stan
    See above

Looking good though Stan

Quote Originally Posted by leo View Post
    See above

Looking good though Stan
    And it won't cost a few hundred £££ like some other PSU upgrades that some equipment suppliers come up with.

I was listening to the upgraded PSU on one DAC and the TC-7510 PSU on another DAC. The bass seem to have a firmer grip on the air movement with the upgraded one. My hearing drops off above 16K so I can't accurately say how much better the HF sounds.

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Thats interesting, I find its mostly in the bass you hear differences when comparing various SMPS's, some types make bass more audible but don't go as low if that makes sense, a good one always sounds tighter goes lower down

If the equipment powered isn't designed for SMPS's I often hear HF sharpness, things like cymbals go splashy

Its all fun and games some of these little things separate the good quality gear from the not so good stuff

Default Wait for it, wait for it....

Sitting patiently in a holding pattern until the 7520 is shipping with the new PSUs.

Looking forward to a 7520 with great anticipation.

Quote Originally Posted by tizer2000uk View Post
    I can also confirm that through the USB port the 7520 is recognised as a seperate sound card and can not utilise the processing of game/movie audio from any other sound card you have in your system, the Kernel Sound plugin for Foobar has also refused to output sound through the USB and so the digital ouput on your pc will have to be used if you are particular about the route your audio takes, I personally have not heard any difference in the sound from the USB compared to the Coax but I'm sure some might.

Tyrone
    if you want to use the USB connection with Foobar try the Asio4all driver, works very well with my 7520/7510.

nice write up btw - i'm still waiting for my 7520 to settle down a bit, i have quite a revealing HiFi setup and it's still a bit shrill for my ears in the first 20-30 hours.

there's definitely more & tighter bass versus the 7510 6/4 that i've noticed so far and the midrange has improved, i agree with Tizer in that there is more meat or body to the sound.....much cleaner resolution......tbh it sounds like another power amp has been added to my gear i liked the 7510 but even with less than 30hours on the 7520 it's flaws are quickly shown up if you have the gear to bring out the improvements in the 7520. i can see why Stan has seemingly got unfairly treated at a certain other forum because this DAC is insane value for the money and in these harsh economic times a top quality affordable product like the 7520 is probably the giant killer they're afraid of.

i had doubts as to whether the 7520 would be much of an upgrade over the MOD21 7510 and for the price i am gobsmacked by the quality and i've still got improvements to come from the DAC itself and a PSU upgrade
    Last edited by marscay; 10-03-2009 at 07:41.

I'm Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by roscoeiii View Post
    Sitting patiently in a holding pattern until the 7520 is shipping with the new PSUs.

Looking forward to a 7520 with great anticipation.
    Ditto here. Having 2 very sweet but also very loud kids running around, justifies the purchase a 7520! At least that will be my defence.....

Now I hope my better half will agree.

Wondering when the 7520 with psu will ship.

I'm Tyrone.

Quote Originally Posted by marscay View Post
    i had doubts as to whether the 7520 would be much of an upgrade over the MOD21 7510 and for the price i am gobsmacked by the quality and i've still got improvements to come from the DAC itself and a PSU upgrade
    Well I just swapped out the stock psu for a Yuasa lead acid battery (Reading 13.6v)and the sound just got kicked up a notch! Never thought the difference would be so pronounced, the soundstage has now lept further from the speakers and instruments have more weight and air around them, the sound really is more dynamic now, and the difference was better still through my Grado's. A very good upgrade until the new psu is released.

swapped the wall wart for a maplin 12-15v psu on the weekend, haven't had any time to compare properly yet but my first impression was that bass depth went up a notch with the aftermarket psu @ 13.5v - Nickelback was really rocking the place at moderate volumes and then i got that look from the mrs

Quote Originally Posted by tizer2000uk View Post
    Well I just swapped out the stock psu for a Yuasa lead acid battery (Reading 13.6v)and the sound just got kicked up a notch! Never thought the difference would be so pronounced, the soundstage has now lept further from the speakers and instruments have more weight and air around them, the sound really is more dynamic now, and the difference was better still through my Grado's. A very good upgrade until the new psu is released.
    No offense but you guys must have incredible ears , Its very difficult (for me) to hear the diff between the 7520 and my old CA AZUR cd player , i can hear it but only just.

I think the following plays a huge part in what we hear

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychoacoustics

I just get VERY skeptical when people hear these huge differences between power supplies
    And for your info ,i work as a pro piano tuner and musician so my ears are fairly good at listening.

Sorry if i upset anyone , the 7520 is a lovely dac for sure but c'mon get a grip lads ,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by drumlins4ever View Post
    No offense but you guys must have incredible ears , Its very difficult (for me) to hear the diff between the 7520 and my old CA AZUR cd player , i can hear it but only just.
    And for your info ,i work as a pro piano tuner and musician so my ears are fairly good at listening.
    A set of good ears for 'live' instruments doesn't necessarily mean a good set of ears for speakers generated audio reproduction.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast