+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Keith's new streamer

I'm Keith.

Default Keith's new streamer

I've been using an ancient HP tower PC to stream music from my linux server to my Caiman DAC for a while. This PC was getting more unreliable (often taking a couple of goes to boot) and was still a little bit too noisy, even after me replacing the CPU cooler with a quieter one, new case fan and mounting the hard drive on sorbothane bosses. Also, I want to re-arrange the system in the room shortly which will mean hiding the tower inside a wooden chest won't be possible and I don't want an ugly PC on display.

Also, I've been using XBMC Media Centre - which is a bit over the top as a pure music solution - requiring a fast(ish) gpu etc., even though most of the time I was using the XBMC Andriod remote app rather than having the PC connected to my telly.

So I decided a new streamer was needed. My requirements were: silent - no moving parts, low power consumption, external power supply (so I can upgrade to a linear PSU in due course), headless - use an Andriod client app, software with 'audiophile' pretensions and (most important) CHEAP

I decided to build a silent PC based on a mini-ITX form-factor motherboard, Intel Atom processor, 1GB DDR3 RAM, fanless case and a 16GB SSD that I was given for free.

(CD case shown for scale)

The PC runs Voyage MPD - a stripped-down linux distro optimised for music playing. The whole OS is loaded into memory, so there is no disc access after boot up. I'm running MPDroid Andriod client - currently on my phone - but have ordered a cheap 9" Android tablet for more convenience.

Cover art can be displayed, but it requires Android 4.0 or greater (which my phone doesn't have, but my tablet will)

The processor is barely ticking over when playing music, so I will investigate underclocking to further reduce power consumption.

I'm very pleased with it so far. It sounds great (better than my old XBMC Media Centre), looks neat and tidy and is very simple to use (push power button and wait 15 seconds, play music. When finished, press power button to switch off).

Future upgrades will be galvanic isolation for the USB, linear power supply to replace the current 12v switcher and S/PDIF output via isolated BNC socket for hi-rez formats.

Total cost was:

£40 for a second-hand Intel D525 motherboard with dual-core Atom processor and 1GB DDR3 RAM
    £40 for the case (ebay)
    £15 for 12v 10A power brick (ebay)
    99p for 15cm SATA cable (ebay)

I already had the Kingston 16GB SSD (free).
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

That looks great Keith, I like the case, nice and compact.

Voyage MPD has been on my list of things to try one day, ever since John mentioned it, I really like the tiny ARM board you can buy for it. I would be interested to hear how you get on with Covert Art with the tablet, as that's something I like to have. Your requirements are the same as mine, headless, totally silent and low power - what board did you go for?

That has to be one of the lowest cost streamer's I have seen too, hats off to you fella

(I'm sure Martin will be along to mention your CD illustration )
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Keith.

Thanks Tim. The board is the Intel D525MW - it has a soldered-down Atom dual-core (1.8GHz) processor and fixed heat sink. It's probably over the top, but I could lay my hands on one cheaply second hand (with the RAM thrown in too).

The ALIX boards are a good choice for Voyage MPD - you can buy a ready-built solution based on one of these with Voyage MPD pre-installed on a Compact Flash card for about $140.

http://store.voyage.hk/KMPD2h.php?id=72
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Thanks Keith, I have an Intel DN2800MT waiting to go into my server when I can find the time and that ALIX board you have linked to is the one I was referring too - I think that's what John uses?

I am totally sold on file streaming now, not for everyone I know but being able to flick through a collection approaching 3,000 on a tablet and playing music with just a screen touch is fantastic and I love it, especially as it sounds superb too.

I still cannot get over how cheaply you have done it, that deserves some kind of award

"People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Paul.

nice one keith.

I must think about doing something like this.
    Paul.

I'm Keith.

Ha! Just made a few changes to the config whilst it was playing music and shut it down without stopping the music playing. When I powered it back up, it immediately started playing from exactly where it had left off

Don't know why I'm impressed, but I just wasn't expecting that to happen
    Keith

Gallery

I'm Chris.

That's a very neat project Keith. It's "cheapness" helped by picking up a s/hand m/board and having a spare SSD. With no picoPSU in the mix I assume your m/board has a 12V DC jack, which is not that common.

You mentioned a possible future upgrade of a linear PSU but if it has a single rail input will you not still have to rely on the m/boards regulators for +/-5V and 3.3v? Does this defeat the object? I know little about electronics, but wonder if the typical voltage regulation on m/boards can reject PSU noise, or does it simply add to it and what are the relative magnitudes of supply and on/board regulation "noise". I still wonder if such an upgrade is worth it.

You said: "the whole OS is loaded into memory" , I know about the "toram" boot option that can used with Linux LiveCD/DVD/USB stick, but wondered how your are doing this? MPD will exist in memory too. Have I missed something obvious?
    Chris

Stuff

1. Linux PC with onboard HDA SB/ALC892 24/192 optical S/PDIF and/or USB > TC-7520 (Gator + LM4562NA) > Quad 306 > AVI Neutron 3
    2. Rotel RCD 965BX > TC-7520 ( Gator + LM4562NA) > Hd595
    3. Rpi B+/HifiDigi B+ (with isolation transformer) Running "SqueezeOnArch" - https://github.com/SqueezeOnArch
    Nonsense
    1. Belkin Pure AV (white) phono, Belkin Pure AV (silver) USB, QEd 79-strand speaker cable.
    2. MG belden digital co-ax

I'm Keith.

Thanks Chris. The case has a built in dc-dc power supply feeding the mobo via the usual 20+4 and 4 pin power connectors.

Regarding the os running from ram, that's how Voyage works - everything is in ram. If you edit (say) /etc/fstab what you are actually editing is the copy of that file in ram. The changes get automatically synched back to the ssd on shutdown.
    Keith

Gallery

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Nice.

There must be cut down versions of Linux for all sorts of applications, like music servers, Digital Audio Workstations, even manufacturing process control and all out there for free.

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisbee View Post
    That's a very neat project Keith. It's "cheapness" helped by picking up a s/hand m/board and having a spare SSD. With no picoPSU in the mix I assume your m/board has a 12V DC jack, which is not that common.
    I would have thought you could do this on lesser hardward too, stuff that's being recycled. Certainly dual-core processing is common to find thrown out and constitute my last two finds (three if you also count the Dell server with 2 x Xeons, but a bit noisy to say the least).

i.e. the only thing you need pay for IMO is reliable storage. The rest is down to fitting it in aesthetically and making sure it runs silently.

I wonder what those tvs with DVD players in the side have running in them. Probably Atom based SBCs (Single Board Computer)..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast