+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ortofon Rohmann

I'm Alan.

Default Ortofon Rohmann

Hi Guys,

I have the chance to buy an Ortofon Rohmann cartridge at a good price, has anyone had any experience with one?

I quite like Ortofons, got great results with an MC 30 Super, but it has just collapsed. beyond repair.
    Is there a good comparison?
    are they an old cartridge?

regards Al
    My system,

Cartridges Lyra Delos, Audio Technica AT33EVmc, AT 24 mm
    Turntable Thorens TD 124 Mk2, in a Jim Campbel plinth,Audio Technica 1503 Mk3 arm
    CD player Technics SL-PG490
    Cassette deck Yamaha KX 530
    Moving Coil Amp Albarry MCA 11
    Pre-amplifier Albarry AP 11 (battery powered)
    Power amps Albarry M1108 Mono-blocs
    Speakers Allison 3 Corner units, Allison 6 stand mounted cubes
    Interconnects AVT Matrix 6 and OFC short ones
    Mains distribution Music Works Recoil 6 gang and mains leads
    Tables MusicWorks ReVo acrylic stand, Quadraspire Acrylic shelves (cryo'd legs) acrylic Response Mini under mains block.
    Speaker cable Chord Rumour (Cryo'd)
    RCM Okki Nokki
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1586...homepage_panel

I'm David.

Default Ortofon Rohmann

Hi Al

I have had two Rohmann's. I liked them a lot but I felt that they were a shade bass light. I also did not like the fact that they track at 2.5g which is heavy even for MC's and I found that over a period of time the cantilever was forced slightly to one side which reflects the strain that 2.5g coupled with appropriate anti skating force puts upon it. I also feel that 2.5g is not very kind to the records.

In summary then, the Rohmann is better in the mid and treble than the bass, very good detail but overall maybe just a little hard and thin sounding. Putting this into perspective these are very minor gripes and if you like the MC30 you are unlikely to be too disappointed

Kind regards

David
    "Madness is continuing to do things the way you have always done them and expecting a different outcome"

SYSTEM SME 20/3A Record Deck, Series V arm and Denon DL304 MC cartridge, Whest PS30R Phono Stage
    Meridian GO8.2 CD Player, Meridian GO2 Dual Mono Control Unit, Meridian G57 Power Amplifier
    Tannoy Westminster Royal HE loudspeakers
    Cabling - Isotek Supreme Mains, DNM Interconnect & speaker cable. Stands - Hi Fi Rack Podium

I'm Andrew.

SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi David,

Just to pick up on a few points...

I also did not like the fact that they track at 2.5g which is heavy even for MC's...
    Not really, there are quite a few MC cartridges (particularly low-compliance ones with conical styli) which track at 2.5g and above, e.g. Denon DL-103s, not to mention most Ortofon SPUs, which track at 4g! My own SPU Royal tracks at 3g.

...and I found that over a period of time the cantilever was forced slightly to one side which reflects the strain that 2.5g coupled with appropriate anti skating force puts upon it.
    In my experience, that tends to occur when the incorrect amount of bias has been applied, thus causing the cantilever to be pulled out of position, and when used over a period of time that way, causes it to bend. Providing that the cantilever or suspension on the cartridge isn't faulty, the 'forcing slightly to one side' you describe certainly has nothing to do with applying a heavy VTF (unless excess tracking force is being continually used outside of the cartridge manufacturer's recommended range).

I also feel that 2.5g is not very kind to the records.
    I'm afraid that this is another popular fallacy. I have records I've owned from new and which have been played for years (many 100s of hours) with 103s and SPUs, tracking at 2.6g and above, and they sound just as good now as they did then!

No, having a stylus sitting nice and snugly inside record grooves at 2.5g, or above, providing that the cartridge has been set up properly, and most importantly, ensuring that the stylus is in tip-top condition, will do records no harm whatsoever. It's when records are played with worn styli and/or are mis-tracking the grooves, often due to insufficient VTF being applied, where the damage is done!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm David.

Hi Marco

I would like to make a point of order

I am not quite sure why you responded to my quote on this thread in this way. I simply responded with my view on the question asked. You may not agree with my comments, but nonetheless they are my view born of 5 years of using Rohmanns. If you wish to express a contrary view that is absolutely fine but it should be addressed to the person posting the original thread rather than aimed at me. Like it or lump, it my view is my view!

Sorry to be a siren voice but it is important that individuals are free to express their views without being subject to the prejudices of others even if they are the owners of the site

David

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi David,

Just to pick up on a few points...

Not really, there are quite a few MC cartridges (particularly low-compliance ones with conical styli) which track at 2.5g and above, e.g. Denon DL-103s, not to mention most Ortofon SPUs, which track at 4g! My own SPU Royal tracks at 3g.

In my experience, that tends to occur when the incorrect amount of bias has been applied, thus causing the cantilever to be pulled out of position, and when used over a period of time that way, causes it to bend. Providing that the cantilever or suspension on the cartridge isn't faulty, the 'forcing slightly to one side' you describe certainly has nothing to do with applying a heavy VTF (unless excess tracking force is being continually used outside of the cartridge manufacturer's recommended range).

I'm afraid that this is another popular fallacy. I have records I've owned from new and which have been played for years (many 100s of hours) with 103s and SPUs, tracking at 2.6g and above, and they sound just as good now as they did then!

No, having a stylus sitting nice and snugly inside record grooves at 2.5g, or above, providing that the cartridge has been set up properly, and most importantly, ensuring that the stylus is in tip-top condition, will do records no harm whatsoever. It's when records are played with worn styli and/or are mis-tracking the grooves, often due to insufficient VTF being applied, where the damage is done!

Marco.
    "Madness is continuing to do things the way you have always done them and expecting a different outcome"

SYSTEM SME 20/3A Record Deck, Series V arm and Denon DL304 MC cartridge, Whest PS30R Phono Stage
    Meridian GO8.2 CD Player, Meridian GO2 Dual Mono Control Unit, Meridian G57 Power Amplifier
    Cabling - Isotek Supreme Mains, DNM Interconnect & speaker cable. Stands - Hi Fi Rack Podium

Hi David,

No offence was meant, so sorry if any was taken. However, there is no prejudice; merely a difference of opinion.

It was your comments I addressed, not the OPs, as it was yours (quoted) I disagreed with. Absolutely, you're very much entitled to your views, but equally, I'm also entitled to disagree with them and offer my contrary views, which I did.

That's the nature of forums, so there's no need to fall out over it. I hope we haven't

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm David.

Default Ortofon Rohmann

Hi Marco

We won't fall out over it. I was obviously mistaken in believing that that the object of replying to a thread was to help the guy asking the question rather than taking a pop at others who try to help. I will remember that next time I am tempted to contribute.

Kind regards

David

Today's quote. " When in a hole, stop digging"

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi David,

No offence was meant, so sorry if any was taken. However, there is no prejudice; merely a difference of opinion.

It was your comments I addressed, not the OPs, as it was yours (quoted) I disagreed with. Absolutely, you're very much entitled to your views, but equally, I'm also entitled to disagree with them and offer my contrary views, which I did.

That's the nature of forums, so there's no need to fall out over it. I hope we haven't

Marco.

Quote Originally Posted by tannoyman View Post
    I was obviously mistaken in believing that that the object of replying to a thread was to help the guy asking the question rather than taking a pop at others who try to help. I will remember that next time I am tempted to contribute.
    David, I wasn't taking a pop at you. I was merely disagreeing with some of what you'd written, and offering my alternative viewpoint. I do hope you can see that.

If you notice, I didn't comment on anything you'd written specifically about the Rohmann, but rather general comments you'd made about high VTF and its affect on record wear (amongst other things), which I believed to be wrong. It's certainly contrary to my own experience.

A forum is for people to comment on whatever is written anywhere on the forum. It doesn't have to be just in response to whatever is being asked by the OP of a thread.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Spartacus.

Quote Originally Posted by tannoyman View Post
    Hi Al

I have had two Rohmann's. I liked them a lot but I felt that they were a shade bass light. I also did not like the fact that they track at 2.5g which is heavy even for MC's and I found that over a period of time the cantilever was forced slightly to one side which reflects the strain that 2.5g coupled with appropriate anti skating force puts upon it. I also feel that 2.5g is not very kind to the records.

In summary then, the Rohmann is better in the mid and treble than the bass, very good detail but overall maybe just a little hard and thin sounding. Putting this into perspective these are very minor gripes and if you like the MC30 you are unlikely to be too disappointed

Kind regards

David
    Back to the OP then. I agree with David. Al, if you're using an MC30 the Rohmann will be a huge step up. And if you like the MC30, you should like the Rohmann. It's a very good cart. I've had the MC10S and MC20S and much later on the Rohmann. It's in a different league. I spent several months with the Rohmann and Transfiguration Spirit, both mounted on their own Morch DP6 arm wands for easy comparison. The Transfiguration reminded me of a good SET amp - dynamic, immediate, transparent, organic. In comparison the Rohmann had the Ortofon family sound - slightly cool and a touch lean, a little like a very good solid state amp dare I say.
    Cheers, Jeff

+ Reply to Thread