+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ortofon MC25 FINE LINE Moving coil carts......rare as hens teeth.

I'm engy.

Default ortofon MC25 FINE LINE Moving coil carts......rare as hens teeth.

I picked one of these up a couple of years ago and I have to say I haven't enjoyed another cart more in my in my system Ever !And that includes Kontrapunkt B..AT OC9 ml2......blue point special...Benz ace ..and more.
    It's not everyones cup of tea but for my set up it just blended beautifully.
    I wore it out in a year .
    Has anyone any info about where to find one ?
    I know this is a 'wanted' but I think maybe more people will read this so please bear with me Mr Moderator...for a week or two at least .
    I can't find one anywhere and I know they are no longer made , but PLEEEZE...if anyone has one contact me eh ? I'll give ya the new price for a minter ( well , the old new price )
    Last edited by the engine; 09-11-2012 at 10:15.

I'm Angus.

Hello Ivor,
    PM sent.

regards

Angus

I'm Andy.

Is it Thomas Thacker or something like that in Germany sells them l believe.( Or at least he used to- might be worth a Google).
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Julian.

it's William Thakker - and yes he does stock them ...

http://www.zum-shop.de/Ortofon-MC-25...r_p7349_x2.htm
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    it's William Thakker - and yes he does stock them ...

http://www.zum-shop.de/Ortofon-MC-25...r_p7349_x2.htm

That is him.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm engy.

Fantastic !!
    Thanks guys ....quest , at an end .

I'm Julian.

How would you describe these carts Ivor?
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm engy.

No weak points at all. Unlike say the AT OC9's which in the wrong system can strip the wallpaper off with the treble on anything near a thin recording.
    The deep bass is kept in such check that while hearing every single bass note ( I've found some carts have certain bass voids in points ) even when playing loud busy music the bass notes start and end with great definition and no smearing of the other mid range instruments .
    No piercing treble but still all The details there. And thrilling dynamics. This might not sound very eloquent but I have spent a fair bit on some carts only to find some have a slightly sort of nasal vocal delivery ? The orto mc25 rivals the best denons on vocals...without any undue sibilance .
    All in all it achieves a sort of gelling musically that I haven't heard matched.
    And almost every cart I've had has had ' something'at some point which could perhaps intrude on the music if the wrong notes were played . Not the 25 though.
    Stereo imaging is quite stunning to. As are the transient. The tracking is rock solid . Solid is a good word for it actually. Totall unfazed no matter what it's put through.
    It sound good with large and small speakers....not many can do that.
    I understand orto stopped production because they were over engineered for the price and they couldn't up the price a lot on an established cart so were making no money !
    Last edited by the engine; 10-11-2012 at 21:37.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The stock MC20 was pretty good as well and rather more forgiving I recall. The beautiful fine line tips Ortofon used at the time were VERY fussy of setup, but are really good if correctly done..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Paul.

Default Ortofon MC25FL.

It's a nice cartridge but it certainly was bested by the Dynavector 20XL I replaced it with. On that basis it is not as good as the OC9 MLII which in some respects has a similar sound balance. It cost around the £200 mark about 13 years ago. Still have it but it has done around 800 hours though not worn out. When you look at current Ortofon prices it was certainly a bit of a bargain.

Paul.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast